1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless to Fretted?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guimdonatron, Mar 15, 2013.

1. I'm potentially getting a killer a price on a Carvin six string fretless. However, I already have a killer Tom Clement fretless and I really am in the need for a nice fretted bass.

I then was considering buying the fretless and converting it to a fretted (not personally, but by a professional luthier), but no one in my town is able to do it and I am not sure who to now look to.

So I'm left wondering...
    Who can I send this bass to get the frets put in,
    and what cost am I looking at to do so?

I was told it would be around $400-500 by a guy in town,
    but I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You can find a used fretted Carvin 6 for less, and I am guessing you are getting a great deal on the fretless at $200 and the guy gives you a good price on the work at $400. You also don't have to deal with the worries of the guy sucking at his job.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Not worth it on a used Carvin, it'll more likely be 600. Just wait until the next one comes along.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'll agree that you should just wait for a fretless 6 to come along. I would also like to speak as a fretless only player. Fretless basses are too rare ( I know they seem to always be available here on TB, but try going to a store and seeing NO fretless basses among the 50 fretted) to lose one to a fret job. Leave it fretless, and make it available to someone that will give it some love.

5. Nah, the fretless is going to cost me $750. It's a higher grade model, slightly customized. Supposedly he dropped $1,600 for it, but I haven't checked their site yet. I was told that the fretting job would cost $500 or more.