Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Wanabe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Great Rober, Dec 4, 2003.

1. The Great Rober

The Great Rober

Dec 4, 2003
    Kent/UK
    Hi
    I'm looking to get a fretless but don't want to spend more than £300.What are my choices?

I don't want a super cheapy that will fall apart or give PUP hum.

Please point me in the right direction !!:meh:

2. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Time to buy Loot, visit e-bay, SoundonSound.com reader ads, whatever. My fretless is a Washburn XB200 (£195 used) which I had defretted (£75) to see how I got on with one after I bought a new main guitar. Plays like a dream, 'though I have to work the Sansamp hard to get good tone from it.

3. The Great Rober

The Great Rober

Dec 4, 2003
    Kent/UK
    Been to ebay.Seen a Vintage active for £170, Stagg for £100 and a Tanglewood Rebel 4K for £100.
    Not seen any decent reviews for any of these though.

I do quite like the look of a Yanaha BB404F.It has the cheat marks that should make it easier. They are available for approx £230 as well.Any views.What about Aria ?

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Yamaha BB is a great bass. It sounds really nice, and plays quite well. You would do well to check it out.

5. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I can't speak for the BB04 but my first fretless was a BBN4F and I was quite fond of it. I had one of the older ones with j-style pickups and it was a cinch to swap out the stock pickups for some DiMarzio Model J's that gave the bass a nice woody tone I was quite pleased with.

J.

6. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    played a fretless Vintage the other day (bubinga body), sounded very nice. try the Dean fretless and the Rockbass (warwick)

7. The Great Rober

The Great Rober

Dec 4, 2003
    Kent/UK
    I'm heading in the direction of the Yamaha. The 2003 booklet I have shows a BB404F but their website doesn't.In fact their sites only cheap fretless is the 270 fretless.

Do like the Dean, it's just the price that is a little too much ( for my wife )

I guess all I'm after is a solid well built instrument. I don't want something that's going to fall apart. Ok so it's not going to match my 73 Precision...but I'm not sure I'd want it to.
    Whatever I get, I guess it'll get a set of Rotosound RS 88's for that super smooth fretless sound !!

8. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Yamaha do build some great basses in the £300 price range... dont think you can go wrong with the yamaha.
    [​IMG]

I played a fretless MIM Jazz (with flats) the other day... it was awful.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    An essex maybe?

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    essex dont ship to the uk :*(

11. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Use roundwounds man :) And fretless is the way to go ;)

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    doh for Ukers.

13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'm thinking of going for one of those Vintage bubinga fretlesses... Whereabouts did you play it? There was a pretty favourable review of them in Bass Guitar Magazine and they're selling new on ebay for £175... Are they a good deal? Or not really worth it?

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Holy Thread Resurrection Batman. :eek:

15. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Wow, I didn't even look! This is old as the hills :D

My bad ;)

16. The Great Rober

The Great Rober

Dec 4, 2003
    Kent/UK
    yer, I saw the review as well.Sice I first posted the thread I 've bought a cort B4Fl.This really is fantastic ! Not having a lined fretboard , I thought was going to be a problem.It was not !You quickly find your way around. OK so above the 12th fret does become---conjested.
    As for the Vintage.I did play one, and I guess for the £175 it does represent good VFM.I thought they looked better than the yamy as well. What I would suggest, is if you are getting it on ebay, go and pick it up.Don't get it delivered, then you can try the actual one you are to buy.At that price, don't expect a setup.I'm guessing, but I expect this guy, just shifts boxes.Allow £25 for a setup on top of the £175. Even at that it is still a good buy