1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless Wayne Shorter solo by me

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 4, 2006.

1. Hello Bass Peeps,

I was on a little Abersold play-along woodshedding tip this morning - and I thought some of you might like to hear some edited noodles from my office / studio ;) - I'm trying to integrate the three finger picking a bit into my solos - I tried it on a gig last week and it worked well - anyway here's the results on a My Space video:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=709176269&n=2&Mytoken=6314B50B-A75B-DA8B-FC1113734BC30D8622017877

Thanks for your indulgence -

Mike

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Some awesome licks in there. Great tone too! Good stuff.

3. that was sick dude

4. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    KĂžbenhavn
    It's real good, Mike. Your three finger technique integrates well into your 'conventional' picking - it's only the phrases near the end that seem to me less musical (and more technical) in origin and direction. Your runs are really smooth and very melodic - wow! Great fluid technique! I've said it before - great sounding set of hands, I mean bass;) !

One important thing, the low volume of Mr. Aebersold's backing takes a lot away from what you're playing. I'm sure it sounds great over the chords, but without them, you could be playing anything. This might also be why some notes seem off to my ear (not usually Mike Flynn's style:smug: ).
    And also, it's a Shorter tune...but it doesn't sound that way to me. I know this is a very personal thing - how to interpret a 'standard', and all I'm doing is giving my point of view. The way I hear a Wayne Shorter tune is not unlike the way I hear a Monk tune - there's a definite print on a tune like that, and there's an invitation with it to do something unexpected, or something you haven't tried before. In my ears, that kind of 16th note patterning doesn't really fit too well with the tune itself. But hey, it's your show and you're going off, mate!

So: more Jamey A in the mix tomorrow, please and stay off the coffee till after recording the tune for us again:D

5. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Really nice, but IMO you should play a bit more low down or a bit more spread out over the entire fretboard, 'cause that makes the higher up parts stand out more. Also a bit less notes per second is sometimes a good thing to keep it interesting.
    But i'm no conoisseur and I still really liked it so...

6. :eek: Wow!! I wish I could play like that....

Beautiful tone, startling; clarity of ideas... I wish I knew the tune well, coz I can't really hear the changes - not unlike when I first heard Jaco playing "Donna Lee" - I thought, "he could be playing anything...."

...until I started walking underneath what he was doing; OMG, he's playing the changes TOTALLY!!

...and same with your playing, no doubt; I don't think you need to turn the play-along up, that would muddy up the recording...it's OUR ears that need to be up to the task!!

I LOVE your clear phrasing... the only negative thing I could dig up is that many of your phrases descend, then end; perhaps some could end with an ascent?

But still, those are all clear, coherent, MUSICAL sentences your playing...

and the thumb + 3 fingers....*STUNNING*

...My hat's off to you, Mr. Flynn! :D

-Kim

7. Big nebula

Big nebula

Feb 15, 2006
    Scotland
    Must say I did enjoy it Mike but it became repetative whatwith the same notes creating the speedy ascending /descending runs,one got to expect what was coming with no real surprise factor in the piece.It didn't quite escape from the theme and you are more than capable of better.
    However,good playing as always.:hyper:

8. Thanks for all of the constructive criticisms here guys - I'm very flattered by some of the compliments but I completely hear what you are saying. I did a great gig with my jazz quartet last Sunday and I wish I'd videoed some of that as we were all playing well - but I had a particularly good last set where I was totally 'in the flow'.

One thing I will say in response to all of the comments is that there is a huge difference between nailing something in the practice room and playing it live in fornt of a crowd. Thus a lot of this home playing gets self-indulgent, repetitive and is actually subject to a law of diminishing returns - i.e. you aren't actually going to get any better unless you go out and play your stuff live.

My main reason for sharing this is that I feel I've made some real progress in my solos, technique and all on the fretless - though I am cringing at some of my crappy intonation...thanks so much for your time.

Mike

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, I liked the phrasing, buut (and this sounds strange coming from myself, who's fretless intonation is iffy, and who barely makes it through Teen Town at full speed) but your intonation is sometimes off to a degree where it's really obvious.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Didn't care for it. Granted I really dislike bass solos.

11. Agreed dude - and having just hung out with Kai Eckhardt and interviewed him and heard him play fretless beautifully, I am now of the opinion I have some more work to do - cheers for the feedback all the same.

M

Edit - I always have work to do on the bass - it never stops and never will!

12. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Dude, you can obviously play very well, and I have total respect for your talent.
    For me though, I missed hearing at least a few swinging 8th notes....you know what I mean? It IS Jazz after all......I could not feel the pulse of the tune at all, and I know this tune pretty well.
    Something to consider.