fretless with pick

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kimstevens, Sep 1, 2003.

1. kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Hi. Can anyone recommend some recordings of bassists who play fretless with a pick?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    not me. but how strange....

last night i jammed acoustically with a guitarist in my place, and he dug my fretless bass. we switched (i play guitar also) and he played my fretless with a pick which for some reason i found interesting. had we recorded it i'd have sent you a tape. :D
  3. kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Thanks for the thought. I've been working on playing fretless with a pick, and I really like the sound.

4. I read that Carlos Benavente played fretless with a pick.

Sting played fretless live with a pick (P Bass, Ibanez Musician, Hamer 8-string)- there's a Police live compilation around.

on some early Simple Minds tracks with fretless bass I suspect that Derek Forbes used a pick eg. "this fear of gods" "today I died again".

New Model Army- sex (the black angel)
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Eddie Jackson of Queensryche has used a pick on some of his fretless tracks ("I Am I" comes to mind)
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Trip Wamsley, the current featured interview on the TB front page, has a killer fretless/pick solo tune on his new album. The title is "Twenty Years Too Late" and the album is "It's Better This Way." I think the cut is still available for download on his website, as well...

7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    i think part of the secret behind the famous "sledgehammer" sound is tony playing a fretless with a pick (he does live).
    that, and studio magic.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I agree!!! Trip's whole album has great & imaginative fretless bass work on it!!
  9. Helmutt Hattler of Kraan, Tab Two and Hattler plays fretless (as well as fretted) with a pick.
    He's simply awesome if you've never heard of him. He's like Chris Squire and Stanley Clarke's funky german brother.
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Tony Levin:

- Sledgehammer (Gabriel)
    - Don't Give Up (Gabriel)
    - Vrooom (King Crimson) -- not the middle part that sounds fretless (that's EUB) but the rockin' part
  11. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well,, Justin Chancellor plays fretless with a pick I believe for about a 80 seconds on the end of Lateralus! hehe.....

other than that,, I dunno....
  12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Actually, at the end of the song, that's a fretted bass using a Whammy pedal. The fretless is only used on the second verse.
  13. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ok,, not RIGHT at the end,, but starting at 7:21 thru the song.

"with my feet upon the ground ..."

14. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm,, ok,, does the fretless part start @ 3.20 in the song or 7.21?? 3.20 has a good slide sound to it,, but its still got a sharp attack (perhaps because of the pick?), 7.21 could be fretless with wah or maybe just wah??? oh well.
  15. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    The second verse is the fretless - not sure of the time, but 3:20 sounds about right.

The "with my feet upon the ground. . ." is the Digitech Whammy - pitch shift, not wah. Same thing he uses during the bridge of "Schism".

You can play that part with a fretless, though I've found I have to be careful to alternate fretting finger each sweep, or else I'll burn my finger! :D
  16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I believe Jason Newsted played a fretless Zon with a pick on Until It Sleeps.

17. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Matt Malley from the Counting Crows plays a fretless stingray with a pick almost exclusively.