Fretless woes.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diezel420, Sep 17, 2001.

1. I have one question and one question only concerning my new fretless bass.

I recently made a purchase on a wonderfull new Cort Artisan B4 fretless, and I noticed only one thing wrong with it (I noticed this before the purchase, so it ain't my doing): the first "fret" notes on the G and D strings creates a rattle and a lack of sustain. It just RATTLES on the G# on G and D# on D. THIS IS NOT A SERIOUS PROBLEM, JUST A CURIOSITY.

I bought the bass because it sounded great and looked great, and it still does. I just wanna know why it rattles there and how I can fix it (if I can). I can work around the problem regardless in my playing (6th "fret" of the D and A strings) by playing in a different position, I know. It's just no rattle, even if I don't worry about it, is not as good as no rattle. THANKS!
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Diezel,
    Hopefully this is just a setup problem. You may just need to raise the action slightly on those two strings. Shouldn't be a relief problem with just 2 strings and at that fret level. If an action adjustment doesn't help, have a tech check your nut. (no, not your nuts).
  3. It's definitely not coming from the headstock, tuners, body, bridge, or anything like that. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the string hitting the fretboard in an odd way, but that doesn't make sense to me. PLEASE HELP!!!
  4. It sounds like the nut may be cut a little too deep and the string is hitting the fingerboard.

You may also have the truss rod rattling inside the neck. When you hit those notes, you're setting up some resonance inside the neck.

I would also call the store and look into your warranty.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If the strings hit the fingerboard, it needs an action check, perhaps also a truss rod adjustment.

If you feel comfortable with your own intelligense and skill, you do this yourself. Slowly, gently, like petting a rattler!
    Some info can be claimed from Gary Willis, Mr Gearhead and Bassplayer.

If not, find a repairman.

Good Luck!
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Are the string windings ending at the bottom of the tuning peg? Sometimes a lack of downward pressure there can cause rattling.