Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Paolo, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Hi

I can utilize the fretless bass for rock or metal ? Any bassist utilize fretless for that ?

2. "utilise" - what a cold word!

3. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Yes

4. .

5. i'm sorry for my bad english. I'm italian and i haven't study english.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I have an MP3 of Dream Theater doing a cover of Rush's "Red Barchetta", where John Myung plays fretless. Sounds really cool.

That is just one example of fretless being used in rock context. I see fretless especially useful if you're playing "lead bass" sometimes, or for the more quiet and mellow tunes, like ballads. But of course you could use fretless whenever and wherever you like. It's all in who's playing it! :)

7. Mudvayne's (sp?) bassist uses a fretless on some of their stuff and it sounds real good. You can check out some of their songs (excerpts) on CDNow.

8. No need to apologize for not being fluent in a foreign language - not that there's a problem with your english.

I don't think that one should think of any particular type of bass as being strictly a rock bass or jazz bass. I use both a Fender Jazz, as well as a fretless P, to play jazz/fusion/latin. It all depends on the tone you are trying to achieve. You can play rock with a fretless. You may have trouble slapping with one. Ideally, I'd want to own one of each (at a minimum). But that is my opinion, and opinions differ widely on the BG forum (and that is good:) ).

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    FWIW Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam uses a fretless quite a bit.
    -Dan

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Tony Franklin!

blue murder
    the firm
    Gary Hoey

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    There is nothing wrong with using a fretless in a metal band etc.. But if you play Fretless in a metal band, u might need to raise the volume up a notch so people can hear it :) But I kheard of a punk band that used an upright bass (Double/Wood Bass) and it sounded pretty damn good.. Yes Ryknow from Mudvayne played Fretless for the intro of a song on the album called "Severed" i think. But yes, u can use it. Who cares if people think your different.. Why not be unique like John Turner? U know.. U don't have to do everything other people do to fit in, in the end, u might get more attention playing a fretless in a metal band :D