Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nubassplayer, Apr 5, 2001.

1. nubassplayer

Mar 26, 2001
    I just started playing bass. I really want to play fretless. Is it really hard to learn? Should I wait till I get better at playing normal? If I do get one should I get lined or unlined?
  2. well this has been the hot topic of the day.

your best bet is to search on fretless and see whats here. oh and welcome.
    depending on your hand strength i would not be able to say whether or not fretless is easier or not.
    i didn't pick it up right away but when i did i was glad that my hands were up to par. its a lot easier to play either with strong hands.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Playing fretless is not harder than fretted! Unlined has a higher treashold, but soon enough it doesn't matter.

At one point or another, you'll get frustrated on the intonation, and you think "I throw this junk in the wall", but you don't. Three days later, you realize that your ear is getting better, your intonation is improving drastically, and you are becoming a better bassist.
    Then you pick up a fretted... "Ah", you think, "I can play fast on this one!" and you do that. You go back to you fretless, and notice your hand has become sloppy, it doesn't hit the notes as well as before. You train and get good again. Then you play a slow tune on a fretted - and you almost puke! It does not intonate right!!! "Where's that fretless, now when I need it?"
    /////the story of my life/////

So, on a fretless you will learn a lot more, and faster, because it forces you, it challanges you and it entices you.
  4. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I was in grad school when I decided to go fretless. I too was listening to a lot of Weather Report music, and I thought, "hey, I WANT THAT SOUND." So I defretted the cheapo bass I had--it was the only one I owned, and the only thing I could afford--and I got it back from the music store and sat down to play. I was awful. I was horrified. I thought, "My god what have I done?" But soon I came to really love it. I think it would be wise to seek out a fretless at a local music store, one that wouldn't mind you spending some time with it, and give 'er a go. See if it speaks to you, feels right to you, even if it feels a bit alien. Fretless is a different animal, whether you're new to bass playing or have been playing a long time (I had been playing for ten years when I took the plunge). So whether it's early on or later on, it just is a matter of knowing that you want to express yourself on a fretless. Good luck.
  5. The thing about fretless basses is that when you are playing for a band, or along with any musicians, you need perfect finger placement. Unlike a fretted bass, if you are a centimeter high on a note it is just sharp enough to notice, and sounds bad, and when you are a centimeter low, it is too flat. Take this in mind if you plan on playing in a band of any kind.