Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzerHF, Dec 14, 2004.

1. JazzerHF

JazzerHF

Dec 14, 2004
    Hi,
    I'm new to the talk bass community, and I just want some suggestions for buying a fretless bass. Im working with $2000, I want unlined, and a tone similair to jaco's (except with a little more bass in the tone) What are some good basses that fit this criteria?
    thank you

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    eh... well...

Sadowsky jazz? i dunno if they do fretless, though..

for 2k, you can get a jaco reissue.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Jaco fretless is a pretty damn good bass for that kind of price. Or you could just do what Jaco did and get yourself a regular old fretless jazz and play the hell out of it.

4. Jaco Reissue could do the trick, but it's lined, as are all MIA fretless Fenders. You could get a MIJ Fender fretless, which is unlined, or even a fretless P bass from the 70s (big unlined board, less Jaco-ey due to the P pickup, but good overall mwah and a big woody tone).

Lakland makes great fretlesses, and G&L does too. Might wanna check those out for fretless Jazz basses.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fortunately for you there are usually loads of killer fretlesses available available used in that price range. In particular look for Elricks, Stambaughs, heck there's a used Brubaker 5 on eBay right now. Also some of the Zon fretlesses are world class IMO.

6. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    You might want to look at a CB bass.
    I have been considering making the move on one.
    http://www.cbbasses.com
    It is all about the woods, pickups and playing style, to get that Jaco tone.

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Athough unlined is preferable considering the looks, just imagine yourself on stage and a little darkish surrouding. It's going to be very difficult then and you can't be more precise than a lined anyway. Even Richard Bona has a lined fretless.. so why don't we? ;)

I'm quite curious about the Jaco fretless... I've got no money for the relic one (which seems to be fantastic) but have some interest in the fretless 'normal' bass. Anyone who can be of some help?

(Don't forget the topicstarter's question off course. ;) )

8. JazzerHF

JazzerHF

Dec 14, 2004
    thanks guys for the suggestions...
    The deal is, I dont really need the lines (I practice fretted bass in such a way that the first time i picked up my friend's sadowsky unlined fretless intonation wasn't an issue.. until i got way up on the fretboad... ech I would buy the same bass, but it's out of my price range), and I want to play more with my ears than my eyes, thats really why i want the unlined (looks are a bonus :) ) But keep the options comin, thanks again!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Now imagine that stage a bit darker still... and now you can't see the lines.

;)

Bottom line, use whatever you need to get the job done.

BTW just heard about this builder whose located near where I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Haven't seen their stuff yet or talked to them, just figured I'd pass this along.

www.bbobasses.com

10. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Pedulla Buzz series are nice.

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
  12. The Jaco reissue I saw was only $1,200 at the Sam Ash in Clearwater. It is my understanding that the abused-looking relic one is the super expensive one, right?

It had lines, but it wasn't the eyesore light colored ones.

13. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Yeah, the abused one is called 'Relic' and is made by the Custom Shop. According to a few guys it it's 'utterly fabulous'. (To use the words of Jeremy Clarkson for the Aston Martin DB9)

It retails in holland for about 3500 euro, the 'normal' jaco is about 1500 euro. Don't know about the prices in the US. I should buy a secondhand in the US, it spairs a lot of money.

14. I suggest you check out the Lakland fretless basses. I have a 55-94 with Bartolinis and can get a great midrangy Jaco type of tone (and many others), but from what I hear, the Duncan Basslines add a little edge to the sound if you want a little more presence.

[​IMG]

I also have an Elrick and Roscoe fretless 5's, but I don't think either of those get a Jaco type of tone, but they have their own sound happening. I'll have to put a plug in for the Elrick fretless, they are awesome basses and it's my favorite bass of all time.