Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mkress77, Feb 27, 2005.

1. mkress77

mkress77

Feb 27, 2005
    So I just bought a new Fender fretless jazz bass std
    I really like it, but I got a problem.
    My action is too low on the E string and it buzzes.
    I want to know what to do first; Should I mess with the truss rod, or should I raise the saddle on the bridge. The other strings aren't bad, the only time they buzz is if I play way too hard.

2. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If it is just the E thats buzzing, raise the string saddle a wee bit. If that helps, then your done (and double check the pickups so they arent off). Allways do the trussy last, or at least thats my preference. Any other feedback?

3. mkress77

mkress77

Feb 27, 2005
    Thanks for the replies, I'll get to it someday. Maybe next week since it's spring break.

4. mkress77

mkress77

Feb 27, 2005
    Well I just got around to it. I took a closer look at my bass, the bridge isn't even setup! The saddle on the E string is sitting on the bridge on one side and barely off the bridge on the other side. The A and D strings aren't parallel to the bridge either. I can't believe I didn't notice it earlier. Anyways I'll follow that setup page that you guys sent me. The worst part is, is that I don't have my tools with me :mad:

And I heard some of you say that you set the relief on the fretless almost flat. Does this give you better sound or what?