Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 29, 2001.

1. I went to my local music shop today and tried a fretless jazz.
    I couldnt play in tune that well, but now I see what you fretless junkies are talking about!
    You don't have to worry about fretbuzz, it sounds really awesome (much better than fretted), and it's just cool!

LONG LIVE FRETLESS

2. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Flea, dont give up yet, try a lined bass and play right behind (almost ontop of) the lines. It is not as hard as it seems, and it takes time but it will really help develope your ear!

3. actually the bass i tried did have lines. It was infact easier than I thought it would be, but I kept wanting to play it like a fretted, because im so used to it. I thought you were supposed to play DIRECTLY on the lines, not almost on top of them..

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I recently got a lined fretless (I prefer unlined but the lined was what I could afford). I play right on the lines. You just intonate the bridge to where you're going to play, and everything works out fine.

5. I must add that, as saurkraut compliments a hot dog, so does a flanger to a fretless bass. If you haven't tried it, you have to. Simply irresistable.

Mike J.

6. I personally like fretlesses better... all my basses are fretted right now, but yea I understand its kinda weird to play because you gotta play on where the frets are supposed to be. But you can't beat the sound or the feel.... anyway I'm gonna defret my 5 string MIA Jazz I think

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    For a MIA Jazz, you might want to consider pricing out a fretless neck before you go hacking into the fretted. The issue is resale value. If it were a $300 Ibanez I'd say go for it. If you ever want to resell the Jazz V, you can always offer it to the prospective buyer as either fretted or fretless.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Right on the lines really isn't true...toward the nut, you'll be slightly ahead of the line, and/or towards the bridge, slightly behind. Depends on how you intonate, but it's never exactly right on the line, which is one reason why I dislike lined fretless. Throws a lot of beginners off, quite a bit (no, im not including you in there!) :D