Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ahh...

I´ve come to terms with that I can´t afford to buy a new bass right now. Now I own a 6yrs old Washburn 5 stringer, and I got a 4 string, 8yrs old Encore bass. The Encore is my junk bass, and it is never used. So I decided to call up a local luthier and he´s going to defret my old bass for pretty cheap, so now I can hopefully enjoy a decent sounding fretless bass :)

Maybey I should throw in a new pickup.. Has anyone got a suggestion for a decent (not expensive) pickup for a fretless to give me a warm and full sound with some of that mwahh? :)

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't know how prices are there but a Bartolini pickup (Jazz type or soapbar) in the bridge position can work wonders.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    You know you could defret your bass on your own.. it isn't that difficult... and you get a feeling of accomplishment when you have finished.... you just have to be carefull pulling out those frets ;)

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yeah, that would probably be fun....But I don´t have the necessery tools nor the facilities to do this. (probably not the time either). So I´m just gonna let a pro do it, and do it right :)

5. Icez,

If the bass is a junker, don't expect to get a warm, chocolatey, velvet mwah out of it. Just because someone takes the frets off an instrument, it doesn't turn into a Fodera or a Zon fretless. If it's a cheap Korean or MIJ bass, chances are the overall tone will stay the same. The mwah comes from RESONANCE from quality woods crafted together.

If you're just wanting to have a hobby, go for it! What harm can you do? As someone who has done "project basses" before, your end result is only as strong as your beginning foundation.

Hope this helps.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yeah, I figured. I actually can´t remember what it sounds like. But it can´t get any worse.
    This is also an expirement for me...I haven´t own a fretless before, and since I have this bass just lying around I figured I might as well make some use of it.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

7. like yours my fretless was (is) an old encore, i didn't have it de-fretted though, i had the fingerboard removed, and a new unmarked maple one made for me by my part luthier uncle. it sounded sweet as, but the electronics sucked, so i popped in some DiMarzio's, and now it sounds just like i wanted it to, warm but with the distinctive MWAH! :), i finished it off with some nice Rotosound nylon wound strings (the black ones), last thing will be the bridge and the name scraped off the headstock :)

incase people didn't know, the only pickups your able to put in crappy encore basses are p-style.

good luck
    *Si*

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Si-bob, your uncle is part luthier? What is the other part?

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Good to know that.... Do you know what the original fingerboard is made of? Rosewood?

And I also will definately scrape the Encore logo off the headstock :)

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just put a Bart back by the bridge. It'll sound just like a Pedulla.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

12. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Excuse me for my ignorance. But what does mwah stand for?:confused:

13. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    "Mwah" is the sound that you hear when you play a note with a fretless bass - because there is no fret, the note sounds "blurred", and there is a bit more "growl" and "buzz" to it, which comes out as a "mwah".

For some "mwah" experience, listen to Jaco Pastorius, or Mark Egan, or Mick Karn - all great fretless players.

14. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Excuse me for my ignorance. But what does mwah stand for?:confused:

15. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    I had just answered your question in my post above.

"Mwah" is not a word. It is not an acronym. It is like the word "bang" or "ka-boom" - it's something that we use to approximate the sound of a fretless note - "mwah" as oppose to "clink".

16. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    For some reason my message was posted twice, I must of hit back or something (dang short term memory). I apologize for any inconvenience.

17. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    No need to apologize! I used to stutter too. ;)

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    It's also another weir noise, I'll try to explain it....
    When you pluck, you have an attack, then an immediate decrease in volume, and then increasing volume for a couple of seconds, before it decreases as expected.
    This is actually very strange, but it's also very warm, intensive, gives a positive tension. Aahhh!

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

enter Professor Smarty-Pants

it actually is a word. words like that are called onomatopoeia.

exeunt

20. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Dang-it, you beat me to it! I wanted to be mister smarty pants!:D