Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by scottos150, Dec 3, 2002.

1. I just got my first fretless and was wondering if anybody could recomend some stuff to listen to.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but just play it. Listen to what you like to listen to, and play it just like you would your fretted bass. The fretless will play any song the fretted will. Careful, it's addicting, and the fretted may start collecting some dust. I'm sure some other guys here will recommend some fretless music, but music is music.
    doc

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i couldn't agree more with snyderz.

...but if you want to hearsome good fretless playing, then it's gotta be Jaco Pastorius. There are many others that some will say, but i think everyone can agree with Jaco.

-jimbo

4. Two BIG things that effect fretless tone are:

1) fingerboard wood
    2) string type. Roundwound have the "mwah" type sound, while flats have a kind of warm thump.

Both are cool, but I find I can get sick of mwah after a while.

Just providing some fretless background.

BTW: What fretless was it?

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Take a look in the "Recordings" forum for some good suggestions.

6. Listen to Ron Carter's work on Jane Monheit's first album, "Never Never Land. I'm not saying you'll be able to play it, but, it is tasty and it may get you into Ron's style if you're not already. That's my $.02

www.jazzsingers.com/JaneMonheit/

It's 40s and 50s type female Jazz vocals to give you the heads up.

Mike J.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Paul Young and Chris de Burgh records have Pino Palladino on bass - currently touring with The Who.

Brand X's Percy Jones's style was appreciated by Jaco.

Japan's Mick Karn is another. Their live album oil on canvas is supposedly pretty good.

Michael Manring was great playing with Montreux, a Windham Hill group featuring Mike Marshall and Darol Anger.

Weather Report. 'nuff said.

Tribal Tech with Gary Willis on bass.

I'm moving this to 'Recordings" now.

8. Dorminator

Dorminator

Oct 22, 2002
    USA
    I am starting over again with bass guitar... played it years and years ago.. I had a Fender P and did shows and musicals for a few years... this was while I was also a legit bass player... I wonder why 'they' always call it legit...? ..

anyway - just play...have fun... slide around...see how it feels... see what happens... get free... enjoy yourself...

you bass guitar players have no idea how free you already are... I was stuck into reading charts and don't have a creative bone in my body... so get down...go for it..

personally I think you made a giant evolutionary leap getting a fretless...

good for you..

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Listen to a band called Ark. Randy Coven is on their second recording, Burn The Sun, and is playing fretless throughout the majority if not all of the songs. They fall into the genre of a prog/metal band.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "CAB", the CD with Bunny Brunel, Dennis Chambers and Tony Macalpine sold by Carvin has some pretty mean fretless playing on it too.