fretlesseseses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pnchad, Jun 16, 2021.

1. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    Who else has a fretless fetish?

2. 5andFretless

5andFretless Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Long Island Ny
    The word "Fetish" means sexual gratification from an object or act.

I only play fretless, but "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Nope. I like frets. Ooooh yeahh baby.

4. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Tbh I love mine. But right now I'm on the fence. I have limited time to practice, and need to choose my battles.

groovepump, hieronymous and JRA like this.
  5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My upright is.....fretless

David-Tennant-Shh-Quiet-On-Doctor-Who.gif

zontar, devnulljp, wjl and 19 others like this.
  6. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Yep. My upright is also fretless, but I'm craving a better one. I'm also looking forward to the arrival of a custom fretless Jazz (mahogany/maple/ebony).

Ric Vice likes this.
  7. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Yes, I act just like this in person. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    The plural of Fretless is Fretlessi...

not sure how many I have... less than 20? less than 15?

I have 3 fretted and will either sell one or pull the frets off it....

8. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Hmmm... that is going a bit far in this context... yet I've always thought that stopping a string against wood feels much more intimate than frets... |c:

Old Blastard, equill and Dwight Trash like this.
  9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    When I got my first electric, I had already been playing cello for a few years, and I struggled to play with frets. Instead of doing the smart thing -- get a teacher and learn to play -- I did the easy thing, yanked the frets, and filled the slots with Plastic Wood. That was sometime around 1980.

10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Um...

I own two fretless basses. And there are a couple more on my GAS list.
    But the stuff that I would genuinely consider my "fetishes" are not suitable for TB discussion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2021
  11. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I wouldn't call it a fetish but PXL_20210616_171801494.jpg

12. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    I started with a '78 fretted P-bass back in the day, then I got an NS Designs EUB, and after that I was hooked. My main bass for the last 7 years or so has been this fretless from Pat Wilkins. It feels so good -- I've had folks ask me why I play fretless and the answer is: It makes me happy! So if that makes me a fetishist, so be it! Groove on...

bass.jpg

13. WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    this conversion ruffled a few purist feathers....

2020 4003W

BE1D8145-827F-4E2A-AC01-3ECA20005072.jpeg BF3FDDF4-60FB-4014-AD45-A2E7A379B318.jpeg

14. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Fetish is also a term for worshipping an inanimate object supposedly possessed by a spirit. So I guess the word works here.

15. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    I began playing fretless with my very first bass 38 years ago, and for most of the past 38 years, my main instrument has been fretless.
    A year ago, I acquired an inexpensive fretted Ray 4 that just sounds and feels great, so it’s getting played on about 50-60% of our repertoire now.
    I’ve sold away a couple of other fretted basses that I had and quit playing. I might add a new fretted fiver to my arsenal, but the fretless 4 that I have isn’t going away. It’s too nice an instrument.
    No fetish though. I just like to have a fretless at my disposal, and there’s no substitute when you need one. I can almost always find a few songs in any set that I prefer to play fretless.

16. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    No. not a fetish, but in the 80's I wanted one bad. I viewed them & that "Mwah" as something I needed, not unlike how Guitarist viewed Floyd Rose Whammy bars at that time, but i didnt have the resources back then. In the early 2000's I finally got one! it was more Meh than Mwah! I still dont get what all the fuss is about, and why it hasnt transitioned to the guitar playing world?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  17. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    I like both

Ric Vice, Supadope and EatS1stBassist like this.
  18. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Not necessarily; fetish, or fetishization is not exclusively sexual, as per Websters…
    fetish
    noun

fe·tish | \ ˈfe-tish also ˈfē- \
    variants: or less commonly fetich
    Definition of fetish

1a: an object (such as a small stone carving of an animal) believed to have magical power to protect or aid its ownerbroadly : a material object regarded with superstitious or extravagant trust or reverence
    b: an object of irrational reverence or obsessive devotion : PREPOSSESSION
    c: an object or bodily part whose real or fantasied presence is psychologically necessary for sexual gratification and that is an object of fixation to the extent that it may interfere with complete sexual expression
    2: FIXATION
    3: a rite or cult of fetish worshippers

Hence the play-on-words name of a record store I used to go to….

D6E7A9EB-38F9-4E32-A6A1-FC4448D31BA4.jpeg
    There is fetishization involved with certain religions. So, in this case, the OP derives some sort of pleasure or satifaction from obsessing about fretless; not my idea of a good time exactly, although I do own a few…they’re just another tool in the toolbox. I’m more taken with/inspired by Percy Jones and Mick Karn than that other guy. But whatever makes him happy.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    devnulljp, equill, Mili and 2 others like this.
  19. WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    Fretlessi and Feet... good band name....

20. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Unlined fretless only here.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021