Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretlessizing(?!?) my bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, May 19, 2003.

1. Pfft... GAS.. need... Fretless!!!

OK, another idea through my head.

My Grabber. Im thinking about ripping out the frets.

I have a maple neck, now, though, and I know I'll need to oil 'er over and then put some expoxy over the board, but what do you think? (i'll search this later)

It is a mid-priced rare vintage bass... I don't know if I'll always be able to keep this bass, so would this process 'hurt' the resale value?

Also, I use D'addario Slowounds, I can't remember which types are best for fretless (flats or rounds?), would my strings bust up my board?

thnx for opinions...
    :meh: :)

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ditto.

3. hasn't it got a gloss finish on the fingerboard anyway?

but in the words of Mick Jagger in Freejack,
    DON'T DO IT.......DON'T DO IT!

4. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    and likewise. A Grabber is FAR too cool to defret, and you will totally wreck its resale value.

If you want to defret something, go to the pawn shop and pick up a dinky used 50 dollar samick or something, and defret THAT. That way you'll get the experience, be able to note the impact on the instrument as a whole (defretting your bass does more than just give it mwah, in some cases [like mine] it pretty much ruins the sound all together), and get your fretless fix for cheap. If you do all this and really get into the freless sound and feel, then go get a fretless bass.

but for gods sake, don't take a pair of pliers to the Grabber! Sell it to me first!

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd never, ever alter a maple fretboard to fretless.

I agree with the others. Go find a cheaper bass and use that as your guinea pig. If you are one of the rare people that ends up digging fretless for the long term, then you'll know, and you can go get a quality fretless to satisfy your jones.

6. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    i de-fretted my maple on maple p-bass neck( a japanese copy)and though i did a good job i'm not pleased in general w/ the over-all sound,so i put that neck on my mex j-bass and put my mex j-bass neck on the japanese p-bass,now i like the frett-less !its definately more suited for a jazz bass over a p-bass NO?:bassist:

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If you do it, I will be very angry at you.

Those basses are WAY to rare to just go rip up. Go defret a squier p... that is what i did.