Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretlord Lightning Systems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Anybody have experience with these??

www.fretlord.com

they have some pretty cool stuff, anybody tried their stuff? specifacly the "Glowdotz"

2. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    Dusting off the old thread.

You know those little LED keychains that are about the size of a nickel? It's one of those with the world's flimsiest clamp attached.

It does look pretty cool, just not much like what their website shows. And if it's too dark around you, you might not be able to see your fret positions through the shadow your hand casts.

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You might try these one's too www.fretfx.com They are similar but seem to be a higher quality product, using a self adhesive LED array rather than a strip of scotch tape. Although, becuase of this the fretlord product is reusuable.

4. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    was it the FretLightz product you are talking about?

http://www.fretlord.com/FretlightZ_LED_fretboard_illuminator.htm

totally makes me want to put a lighting rig in the washtub bass and have a whole light show shoot out the sound hole!

did you by chance get the multicolor version? i'm wonder how that looks in "real life".

5. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    I got a blue one just to see what it was like, figuring I would order more if I liked it enough. I'm thinking of "illuminating" the whole band in some interesting ways, and this was one device I was exploring. Seeing as how it's just one LED, I'm not sure how the milticolored one would even be made, let alone how it'd look. I imagine it would be the same as mine, just gradiant from one color to the next.

And, ga edwards, I thought about getting that fretmarker strip, but I'm not nearly as interested in side marker LEDs as in one where the fretbourd dots should be. I don't want those little stickers either, they're not bright enough, and I hate that standard "Look! I'm glow-in-the-dark plastic!" green color.

Nevertheless, it's a neat toy for $13 shipped.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Ah that's where you and I differ. I want lit side dots, more as a useful thing than showing off. While I appreciate some people like glowing front dots, I think they look cheesy. It's ok when they're flicked on in a climax to a big song, but I've seen guitarists have them switched on for a whole gig and I just cringe.

Don't get me wrong I like to be as flash and show off as much as the next guy, but I really do think front dit lights look cheesy.

7. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA

Incidentally, if you go to www.fretfx.com, the html of the web page tries to upload a trojan installer called JS/Psyme to your computer. If you clicked on the link and your antivirus program didn't alert you, you might want to update it and run a scan.

8. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    Hey, thanks for the heads-up.

ga edwards: I agree that such things should be used appropriately, as part of a larger building light show. And I agree there's a certain amount of cheeze that goes with the dot markers. as far as the side-mounted ones mentioned, for the what, $25 shipped? I'd definately say it's worth a try. The unit looks thin, light, and simple (= less oportunity to fail). I say give 'em a shot and if you do, tell me how you like them.

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Cheers for the heads up on that, but I'm on a mac running safari browser. No such alerts or problems. Doesn't even try to download a pc file like other dodgy sites can.