1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretmarkers/Stickers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beginner Craig, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Beginner Craig

Beginner Craig

Jan 7, 2020
    I’ve spotted these fretmarkers on amazon. I guess they can help you find notes faster. Is it sort of cheating? I’m thinking if I tryed these I would reply on then too much and not progress? What are you guys thoughts?

A5E2BA30-9C08-409F-B4AF-1ED2884D9DA3.png

Attached Files:

teh-slb and Volker Kirstein like this.
  2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Dunno, I guess they're like training wheels. I can't say weather they're good or bad. The only fret markers I'm familiar with are these, and THEY are definitely good :) >

20191001_043317.jpg

rollie 55, MCF, dbsfgyd1 and 13 others like this.
  3. Hey. i had to put stickers on the side markers on my white Thunderbird. The factory markers were tiny and my eyesight isn't what it used to be :)

MCF, Ggaa, BrianRoze and 2 others like this.
  4. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Yeah, don't get those. They do have a niche in cognitive disabilities, but beyond that I think you're right in thinking it'd be a crutch you don't need, and actually work against you.

MCF and 210superair like this.
  5. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

The fretboard note stickers are fine when you're learning to read music, and they're easily removable once no longer needed. No harm, no foul.

I'm a sucker for block inlays, so am no stranger to putting stickers on my fretboards.
    IMG_20191212_131133.jpg

lunarpollen, notJaco and zoonose like this.
  6. Me too. My Affinity P before and after.

Attached Files:

zoonose and Volker Kirstein like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think it depends on how you learn stuff and whether or not you have the ability to both use them for what they are, and at the same time, 'see passed them' to absorb your fingerboard/note positions. e.g., it's the difference between looking for a letter 'G' vs. looking for where the 'G' actually is on the board.

i don't think it's a bad thing to use them, but i'd question their value for some. good luck learning your fingerboard! :thumbsup:

31HZ likes this.
  8. Beginner Craig

Beginner Craig

Jan 7, 2020
    Yeah I think I’ll stick to learning it the traditional way. I’ve learned the “Money Notes” so far. Only been playing two days. The Fender videos ate pretty good

9. How could you read them while playing ? I find looking at side dots uncomfortable,those would be 100 x worse.

Woodchuck and BrianRoze like this.
  10. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    you already have dots on the side .. i'd learn what notes are on which dots .. then fill in the gaps ...

it's hard to try and look at the fretboard as if you're looking at it straight on .. !? we see it from the side while playing , and we slowly get a feel for where those notes are hiding .. !! use your ears .. !! the correct note is only a half step away .. !!

11. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Agree with what DavC said, learn the notes associated with the side dots- those are always there and you are well underway!

12. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Writing the notes on the fretboard worked for Paul Simonon!

rollie 55 and Dabndug like this.
  13. tzdroik

tzdroik Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Western Wisconsin
    Can be helpful, but better to learn notes by muscle memory and position. Been playing about 10 years and part of my practice routine weekly is saying notes on the fretboard while I play modes for different keys. That helps me.

JC Nelson likes this.
  14. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    As long as your plan is to actively get to the point where you will remove them because you’ve committed the positions/notes to memory, learn whichever way works best for you. I see patterns instead of notes and I just learned to translate when I need to. Everyone’s different.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I use fretboard stickers

b%20580.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Volker Kirstein likes this.
  16. BrianRoze

BrianRoze

Aug 23, 2006
    Western Mass
    You'd develop a bad posture habit trying to read them.

I had to beef up my side markers as well, easier to see with aging eyes on dark stages.

kodiakblair, FatStringer52 and Ggaa like this.
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I can see them for early learning - why not?

I have also put larger side stickers on a couple of basses where the stock dots were too small to see on stage. Cheap and work well!! I put a layer of clear fingernail polish on them for reinforcement.

Ggaa likes this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I don't have any position markers on any of my basses on the fingerboard - I don't play hunched over the thing, so they do me no good there. I do, however, play on a lot of dark stages, and my basses mostly have roasted (somewhat dark) necks, so.... position markers.jpg

19. Murmaid

Murmaid

Dec 18, 2019
    New Yawk
    OMG, I love this so much! Kitty bass!

20. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I’m all for anything that helps people learn the names of notes. I can’t hang with folks who only call out which fret on which string. I say get the stickers and remove them when you know you know.

RyanOh, rollie 55, ak56 and 2 others like this.