1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretmarkers/Stickers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beginner Craig, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

2. RhinoBass

RhinoBass

Oct 21, 2009
  3. Murmaid

Murmaid

Dec 18, 2019
    New Yawk
  4. Eric Lester

Eric Lester

Dec 13, 2016
    Western WA
    I think one of the best tips I got early on -- wish I recalled where -- was to learn where all the Bs are. Once you know that, really know it, you also know where all the Cs are, and all the Bbs. That's 1/4 of all notes. Pick and learn another one, and you're halfway there.

Damorand and catcauphonic like this.
  5. Go for it. If it works for you then it works. And as you can see John Entwistle bass had em!!! That's the Alembic posted above.

gebass6 likes this.
  6. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Nobody hack me please, but I’ve been using more groupings across the bass neck as computer passwords for years. e.g. heres one I don’t use anymore: F#bEaD. It’s the notes going across the frets at the 7th on a 5-String. You can double up if a certain minimum number of characters is needed, do them working backward, etc. it will become rote if you turn off the save password option and have to enter manually every time.

Microbass, BrianRoze, RyanOh and 3 others like this.
  7. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    If you truly are a beginner I would suggest using any and every method possible to learn the notes on the fret board. In time you will not need them.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  8. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    On the topic: doesn't hurt to try. If the results are not satisfactory, there are other methods. One of them will definitely work.

Here's a stupid off-topic: while not actually difficult (there are number of tutorials out there), learning the neck is a chore that takes some time. I found it discouraging initially because I (guess) I started with only a handful of frets (one to five, but I can't really remember, it was a while ago) and then painfully found out that I needed more than a few days of very slow, deliberate repetition to "get" most of them into my brain and hands(*). And this was just the first handful of frets; looking further up the neck was demoralizing. Anyway, a couple of years later, while preparing for some music exam (I played classical guitar as a kid; don't ask, I'm not proud of it), I had to work on aural identification of common devices and resolutions. While I could've listened to tapes from the start, my teacher at the time hooked me up with her pianist friend who was kind enough to drill me for half an hour each evening for a week. He'd play some parts and I was supposed to identify what was going on. It was the "same" stuff over and over and over again, but it worked, I think in large part because of him sitting next to me and showing me what to pay attention to. I went back to the tapes after that and breezed through that part of the exam. The silly thing is that I still remember some of the stuff. Anyway, I wonder now why aren't more teachers doing this; I know for a fact that some of them say "you have to know your neck" and leave it at that. I realize and agree that the onus of learning should be squarely on the student, but I think that being shown what to practice and how to do it can be valuable. I'm not suggesting that teachers should be doing drills until the whole neck is learned, but I do know that it would've helped me immensely knowing that it's totally fine to play the notes and say their names slowly, that there's no "shame" in taking my time.

(*) I'm a slow learner, but pretty comfortable with the fact.

xI Jonathan Ix likes this.
  9. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    There is an app called fret trainer that’s awesome, I think that if you give that a go and know the strings you will learn the board pretty fast, knowing what’s at the 7th will help a lot too, if they work ok but they look like if you played in a mirror they may work

10. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I have this on my wall.
    Is this cheating?
    E768DB27-2D0B-441A-8937-459692DD29DC.jpeg

Garret Graves and bmac314 like this.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    what is that control plate on your jazz? Looks cool.

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Entwhistle had a bass with them permanently applied, if it helps, use it, the Fingerboard Police can stick it. After a while, you won’t need it cause you memorized the board. Win.

RoketRdr and xI Jonathan Ix like this.
  13. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015
    IMG_1937.JPG

This Guy...............didn't do stickers.

He made The Committment!

bmac314 and Dabndug like this.
  14. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Uhm.....no......no, no, no, no, no.
    Don’t be that guy. (or gal, whatever)
    No shortcuts. Do the work. Learn the tool.

15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    The only way they are going to help is if you can play while staring at the front of the fretboard, which means tilting your bass upward in a very uncomfortable position. Save your money and learn the fretboard.

BOOG likes this.
  16. You wouldn’t be the first one to utilize this sort of thing. I wouldn’t leave them on for more than a couple of weeks though. One thing that was a real game changer for me was realizing you have the same note two strings down and two frets over. This may help your conception of the fretboard.

17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yeah, look how having those note markers permanently crippled Entwhistle, he was a notably terrible bass player, all due to that “crutch” he used! :D Again, ignore the Cranky Squad, use ANYTHING that helps you, when it stops helping, stop using it. The rule is: there are no rules, just results.

xI Jonathan Ix and BOOG like this.
  18. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    +1 to this.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  19. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    hmm.. I did not know that he did that to his bass. It does kinda look amature-ish to me though.
    And got dang that hideous headstock..jesus dude. k, now Im getting OT.

EDIT: yea, see that bass in post # 22 has a much more .."normal"/Fitting looking headstock IMO.

YMMV
    T$

20. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    IMHO, the fretboard dots are not there for your convenience, they are there for your bandmates. I used to play in a band where the guitar player didn't have any face dots, and it was tough tell what he was playing at a quick glance if he was playing anywhere above the fifth fret or so.