Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frets 1-5, 100% buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gord, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    I just bought a bass yesterday, it sounded perfect in the shop, (I had played it a few times before) but when I brought it home, the first 5 frets on every string buzz so bad that they don't actually produce notes. I'm going to bring it back to the shop tomorrow for them to fix it, but I was wondering if I could save a trip by doing it myself. I went on the gary willis page and tried tightening the truss rod, but nothing. Any suggestions?

2. well, you were supposed to loose the truss rod, not to tighten it. Read again the gary willis article, and pay attention this time. ;) Hope, this helps

3. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    :scowl: :rollno: the sad thing is, I probally would've tightened it even more tomorrow if you hadn't stepped in. Thanks alot, I'm dumb :scowl:

4. Lefty loosie, rightie tightie....

Turn it back the amount YOU turned it, + another quarter turn. Then bring tension back onto the nut a bit. Let it settle in for an hour, and see where you are at.

5. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    it's a tad better than I started, I'll wait until around the same time tomorrow before I turn it anymore, thanks guys!

6. Glad i could help
    TB had helped me many times, so i feel obliged to help all the newbies. And always remember, not more than a 1/4 a turn per day

Anyway, which bass did you buy? Can we see any pics of it?

7. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
  8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just because you have that bass doesnt mean youre not a newb. Dont try to do your own setup if you dont know how.

9. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    huh? just because I have 4 basses and a guitar doesn't mean I'm not a newbie either, everyone's a newbie at something, there's only one way to learn :hyper:

10. Gord,
    A few things to keep in mind. Remember to loosen all the strings before tightening or loosening the truss. You'll probably have to move your 2nd and 3rd string to get to the truss adjustment. But loosen the other 2 also.
    Bring the strings up to the pitch or tune you will be using. You didn't downtune after bringing the bass home from the shop?
    Realize that different tunes will apply different tensions to the neck, requiring truss adjustments to keep that perfect setup.
    Realize that temperature plays a HUGE part in what the neck is doing while it's sitting there. Try to keep the bass in a more-constant room temperature. You should see my action if I leave my bass in a cooler room for a few hours..
    Good luck!

Mag...

11. Loosen the strings.....huh? Never heard that....I use a capo and feeler gauges to adjust the truss rod on my bass.

12. Me too...I don't use feeler gauges except for my eyes and my fingers...and I certainly don't loosen the strings. If I did, I'd loose my entire point of reference. I find that by eyeballing down the fretboard along the strings (from the bridge end), you can make some pretty precise adjustments. And then the rest is how the strings feel.

(Mind you I'm just fine tuning here, no major set up)

13. On most basses, one has to (at least) loosen the two inner strings to adjust the truss one way or the other. Kinda hard to get the wrench in there.
    Seriously, you especially don't want to tighten the truss with all that string tension on it. Truss rods do sometimes break, and the nuts do sometimes strip. Why make the truss rod and nut work that much harder? You won't have the tension off the neck for any considerable amount of time, and once back up to tune you'll be able to check the results.
    Loosening the truss probably wouldn't matter all that much. When I have to tighten my truss, I usually give the neck just a bit of help by gently pulling it backwards in the direction I want it to go.
    Using a capo on the first fret is a great approach. Using feeler gauges is too, because once you figure out just how much relief that particular bass works best with, you won't be guessing around anymore. You'd be able to dial it in perfectly without trial and error.

Mag...

14. Aha! I feel better with clarification..... :smug:

15. what are feeler gauges?
    i probably know what it is i just don't know how you call it in english

16. Feeler gauges are flat, thin pieces of metal that are a specified thickness, used for measuring gaps. They usually come connected in a set. You can find these at your local auto supply or hardware shop.

Mag...