Frets be damned!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, May 4, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Or, Damn the Frets - Full Speed Ahead!

I'm just re-discovering stainless strings, and boy, do I like them. Got some Blue Steels on my P right now, with some Roto 66's waiting in the wings. Unless I'm totally blown away by the Rotos, some taperwounds will be coming shortly thereafter. The Blue Steels are pretty good - I hope they last for a while. I'm using Fast Fret, so we'll see what happens.

Seriously, though, I hope these things don't wreck my frets. To me, they just sound right. I've tried DR's and Blue Steels so far, and I figured, heck, Rotos are really the reference standard, and it's been a while since I used them, so I got some from the Dude.

After using flats for a while, it's interesting getting used to stainless rounds. That finger-noise thing is going to take a little work, but I'm making progress.
  2. Oh, I know what you mean.

Rounds have opened up a whole new world of frustration for me after playing flats exclusively for a very long time.

Though its getting better, my playing on fretted often still sounds like someones got a powergrinder up against the neck of my bass.

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I'm just the opposite, I've never played flatwounds before. I love DR Hi-Beams as far as rounds go.