1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frets made of wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wdinc01, Nov 29, 2006.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I was sitting in school thinking about bass guitars (as I tend to do), and got the thought of having frets made of wood. I thought to myself 'Self, why don't people actually try this? It'd be pretty cool'.

So, does anyone know an example of someone doing this? I guess the obvious answer is that the strings would eat up the frets much quicker than frets made of metal, but is there any other reasons?

Thanks in advance.

2. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
    As Mr. Greenman has posted, it has been discused before. But you might be able to get away with it(even with softer woods) if you used gut strings.

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks. I guess I was using the wrong search terms. It does answer a few of my questions, although I didn't really care if I got a fretless sound. I just wanted to see if it could be done.