Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frets or fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xxajr8xx, Sep 3, 2005.

1. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    im trying to determen if i should get a fretless bass or not...im wondering if anyone knos how long playing a normal 4 string freted befor i move on.. or any good non expencive fretless bass companies or brands modles w/e

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

There are no rules. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but you can go about it many ways. Most don't, but some guys start out on fretless. If you do, I would suggest a lined fretless.

As to your question about what nonexpensive fretless, I'd go with the MTD Heir. Great sound and playability for I think about $600- 800. It could be cheaper too.

3. I started out on Fretless about 5 years ago. You can switch any time, but you will have to "relearn" the instrument a bit. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I had to learn some new technique when I got my first fretted bass about 2 months ago. No big deal. As far as buying an instrument, I would look at something cheap so you can try it out without sinking a lot of money into it. Look for a nice used Ibanez, Fender, or something similar.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played both on and off for quite a while. With a slight learning curve, you realize they're both the same instruments. Just like a P and a J, just a bit of variety.