frets or fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xxajr8xx, Sep 3, 2005.

1. xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    im trying to determen if i should get a fretless bass or wondering if anyone knos how long playing a normal 4 string freted befor i move on.. or any good non expencive fretless bass companies or brands modles w/e
  2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

There are no rules. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but you can go about it many ways. Most don't, but some guys start out on fretless. If you do, I would suggest a lined fretless.

As to your question about what nonexpensive fretless, I'd go with the MTD Heir. Great sound and playability for I think about $600- 800. It could be cheaper too.
  3. I started out on Fretless about 5 years ago. You can switch any time, but you will have to "relearn" the instrument a bit. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I had to learn some new technique when I got my first fretted bass about 2 months ago. No big deal. As far as buying an instrument, I would look at something cheap so you can try it out without sinking a lot of money into it. Look for a nice used Ibanez, Fender, or something similar.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played both on and off for quite a while. With a slight learning curve, you realize they're both the same instruments. Just like a P and a J, just a bit of variety.