Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frets or no frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rcamfs, Mar 18, 2001.

1. rcamfs

rcamfs

Mar 16, 2001
    i was looking for a new bass i wanted to know what was better frets or no frets. Could you please explain to me the advantages and the disadvantages of eacyh? thank you
    ry

2. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    Hey:

Fretless has an awesome amount of tone, because there are no frets stopping it. Also its so smooth playing it, and it feels so broken in from the start. Bends are a snap too.

However, if you want any kind of slap capabilities, you just kissed them goobye with the frets... If you are using the bass for just jazz, then by all means get the fretless, its awesome. But if you like funk or rock, id opt for frets, it just sounds better.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey Ry,

Welcome to Talkbass!! You're in the right place... Hmm... here's my take... Frets are the metal bars, (wire actually), attached to the fingerboard at exact intervals... Frets allow for fixed placement of notes. You press the string slightly behind a given fret, and providing the string is tuned to pitch and your bass is properly set up, you're relatively certain of getting the expected note.

Fretless is just like the name implies... no frets. You must place your finger exactly in the proper spot to get the expected note. Take a look at most any upright bass and you'll see the bassist pressing the string against the fingerboard wood to get his note... Same with a violin...

Which is better??? You'll have to answer that one for yourself. They each have their strong points, and as you play more, you'll probably find that you can use both in your arsenal... I do. If you use the site's search feature and look for 'fretless' you'll find many more and better phrased responses...

Have fun, and again, Welcome!

-robert