1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

frets popping out?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ivanfeg, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

Mar 15, 2012
    I heard a very loud pop from my bass when it was sitting in it's kace. Now, I get a buz at the 12th fret and up. Beeing blind, I'm not sure if the frets have popped up just by feel. Or is this something I'd deffonetly feel?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've never heard of a fret just popping out, I doubt that's it.

Sounds to me like it was the truss rod. Probably best to take it in to a shop to have it evaluated.

3. h2omaker

h2omaker

Feb 24, 2013
    Central Alabama
    +1 on the truss rod.

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Necks will sometimes make a popping or cracking sound when the bass is settling in to a different temperature or humidity level. The sound can be frightening, but it usually doesn't mean that anything has actually broken.

If you are now getting a buzz from the 12th fret up, then you probably have a fret that has raised up. It may be caused by the change in temperature/humidity, but it wouldn't actually make the popping sound. Fingerboards can dry out, which loosens their grip on the frets, and they can raise up enough to cause a buzz zone.

Do you have a metal straightedge or ruler? Try holding that on the frets on its edge and seeing if it will rock. You may be able to identify the high fret.

Any reasonably qualified Luthier should be able to fix it. Lifted frets are normally just pushed down and glued, to keep them down. Then all the frets are lightly leveled and polished.