1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frets still buzzing after different setup options

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tegnoto89, Apr 25, 2009.

1. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse
    Okay, right now I have the truss rod set to exact fender specs (for my jazz). With the first fret depressed and the last depressed, my 9th measures at exactly .012in. Now, my action isn't that low, but the frets above 12th buzz like mad. In fact, if I bend my G string above the 12th, it won't even ring out, it just mutes. Is raising the action just inevitable?

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It's more than likely that you have a high fret or frets.

3. 202dy

202dy

Sep 26, 2006
    Your relief measurement is good. What are the string heights at the twelfth and last fret, bass and treble sides? Post that data and someone will help you.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Most likely, your neck has a kink around the 15th fret. Check the relief between the 12th and last fret, if there is any, that's what you have going on. This can't be fixed by trussrod adjustment: _IF_ you have enough fret height, they can be milled and recrowned for some fallaway there, if not, at least a partial planing/refret.