Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    what do they do when they dress and level the frets? is it worth it? how much does it cost?
  2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Fret dressing makes sure that the fret you are fretting will not be affected by the fret in front of it.

If a setup doesn't work to stop fret buzz and you hate high action, you need a fret dressing. It's a very reasonably priced procedure because it lasts for a long time.

I had a fret problem on my warwick and had the frets dressed. It still does not buzz, 3 years later.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A fret dressing and leveling is designed to "fix" your frets after they become unevenly worn, usually caused by long playing and roundwound strings.

It is a necessary part of a good setup. If your frets are improperly dressed and leveled, your tone will suffer.

It's not terribly expensive. The dressing on my Spector was around $40 (I think) about 1-1/2 years ago.

A fretjob, on the other hand, is where frets are physically pulled and replaced, usually when they become so badly worn that they're not fixable. This is considerably more expensive...can get to $300 or more, quite easily.