Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frett Buzz on my BTB... HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by A Rock, Nov 21, 2001.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    I noticed that i have a buzzing sound when i pluck my 3rd (D) string open. Also...i play thru a SWR750 head and SWR Golaith III and i dont notice any distortion. Recently i went to record at a studio. I was plugged in directly and i noticed that the sound was very distorted. How can i fixed this problem. ( i havent changed my strings in a yr. i play an avg of twice a week).

2. change strings... if it remains, go to luthier to get it set-up ( double trussrod.. don't try it at home, kids )

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    sounds like your nut slot is a cut too low, this usually causes open string buzz.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    It could be one of many set up problems. Your nut slot could be too low, your action on your D could be too low, you might not have enough string winds on the machine head for your D, your neck might have too little relief. Take your bass to a luthier and have it set up. Make sure you tell him about the nut. If hes a good luthier, he can cut you a new nut. If hes just a guy working at Guitar Center, forget about it. He'll ruin your nut.