Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frett buzz problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Hey guys i got my bass about 2 months ago and im having some fret buzz on my e string what do i do?

ohh btw the bass i got is the ibanez sr400 :D :bassist:

2. Well it sonds to me like you have a broken fret, or your neck needs to be adjusted. I find that alot with Ibanez's.

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    you need to do a combination of things- raise the action and get more bow into your neck. so- get out a couple allen wrenches and find the best combination of adjustments to get the buzz to stop.

also- if this doesnt work- it's possible that the nut on your bass is broken. i got a used bass where someone put the wrong guage (too big) strings on it and it cracked where the nut meets the E string.

4. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    nahh nuts not broken , 2 months old and never needed to change the strings...the elexirs are still in good shap and they arent to big for the nut. but thx for the help,,, im guessing il probably have to higher the action.

5. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Check the setup forum to make sure your bass is set up properly. If it is set up properly, well that's ibanez for ya. Actually I've struggled with fret buzz issues on and off with numerous basses. Sometimes it can be fixed and other times it can just be minimized. Technique, action, neck relief and a bad fret job can all be factors. Good luck.

6. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    MY Ibanez SR-406 has some fret buzz issues too....
    Worst of all it happens when a note gets sustained for too long... I let the note linger and there comes the buzz....

The best way to fix this for me was to do some truss rod adjustments and raise the action so it plays higher with more bow.

PS... Ibanez SRX-505's are awesome!