Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frett Buzz Problems

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by darkspec, Jul 20, 2004.

1. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    My new baby (Traben Pheonix 5) plays like butter. Perfect action. The strings started to die and im recording on thursday so I bought some new strings to put on them. The o nly set that guitar center had that was in my price range was a set of Regular Slinky Ernie Ball's. Heres where the problem kicks in......I have a major frett buzz problem now. And the only way to get the strings not to buzz is to dramaticly raise the action. Something that is not making me to happy.

What is causing this dilema? Is it the guages? The B-String weighs in at a whoping 130 .... and its heavy as ****. The neck is 35" scale and Has string thru. This bass is practicly brand new. How can I solve this problem? I do not have any money to spend on strings, so I cant purchase another set and try them out.

2. Was your previous set really old, if yes you might have taken bad playing habits because very dead strings tend to buzz less and to vibrate less, now that you have new strings every little flaw in your technique shows. Maybe you have taken the habit of playing too hard with your old set, try playing more lightly and see if it helps.

3. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I play ligther and I get fret buzz up until the 3-5th frett...Should I just adjust the action and move from their?

4. Sounds like you changed string guageswhen purchasing the Regular Slinky Ernie Ball's. This is causing tension change on your neck........... therefore you need to adjust the relief. It's easy to do.

1- If the string(s) buzz on the first 4 or 5 frets, a relief problem is indicated and a truss rod adjustment is in order.

2- If the strings buzz on the last few frets a bridge height adjustment is in order.

3- An open string buzz usually indicates a bad nut if the buzz clears up when you note the first fret.

If you get lost read through any one of these setup manuals!

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

http://www.weedhopper.org/Bass_Guitar_Setup.asp

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I put on the rest of the strings and tuned to standard...seems to have relieved the problem.

Could not as much string tension have caused the problem? I feel kinda like newbie now lol.

6. Sight unseen I can guarantee you that you need to adjust the truss rod. You have inadvertenly changed the gauges of your strings and your neck flattened out a bit on you. Use the above mentioned links and se if you feel comfortable trying it yourself...it's something you really should learn to do yourself...but I cant blame you if you'd rather have someone do it for you. Most likely you can find one of the Guitar Center guys who will be glad to make this quick adjustment for you at no charge.
    Best of luck!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes. Always put on a full set of strings before attempting to play and make setup changes.

8. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    That'd be a cold day in hell....Ill take it to a local repair shop when I get some extra cash. Seems to play fine atm though, no buzz.