Frett buzz when playing acoustically

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I just got my first bass today and am a total newbie. The bass is a spector Q4 professional.

When I tried the bass out on an amp at the store, it sounded awsome. But, when I play acoustically with no amp, I can hear an annoying frett buzz, especially on the E string. Is it common to hear loud frett buzzing playing an electric bass acoustically? Is everything ok as long as the buzzing sound isn't heard when playing through speakers?

p.s. the bass is brand new so I am hoping it doesn't have a warped neck because it looks in mint condition and sounded great played through an amp at the store. . . . . Just playing acoustically right now until I pick up an amp next week and the annoying frett buzz is hard to ignore.

One last thing. If I pick the strings without pressing them on the frettboard there is no buzzing. The buzzing only happens when I press the strings against the frett board.
  2. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    If it is buzzing only when you are playing acoustically, it's probably because you are hitting the strings harder.
    It is natural to play harder when you are not plugged in,
    most people do just to be able to hear the note.

The bass being new, the store you bought it from should offer a free set up if you think there is a problem.

Have fun with the new bass! :bassist:
  3. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Ok I got up this morning and started playing and the buzzing is getting very annoying. When I press down any string to the frettboard, the frett to the right of the one im pressing the string down on is buzzing against the string. This happens with any string anywhere on the board.

p.s. I am not even strumming the bass hard. I can pick softly and it will still buzz. . . .
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats just basic fret buzz. To fix it, your bass needs to be set up correctly. The Setup forum should help, you should search for such terms as 'action' 'relief' 'truss rod' etc.
  5. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    where are you fretting the bass? example

here is the fret 1 1
    1 1
    1 --- 1 this should be about where you fret it 1 1
    1 1

they say anywhere between 70-90% to the next fret. unless you are playing fretless ;)
  6. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    the example doesnt come out right when its posted, so hit "quote" and it will be right.
  7. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Cool picture set up brownebass hehe. I am fretting about 80% to the next frett.