Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frett/fettless with a finshish/frettless with out a finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomstoats, Apr 2, 2005.

1. fretted

59 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. frettless with a finish

13 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. frettless without a finish

21 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. hey guys, please state why you prefer the kind of finger board that you opted for. If u prefer a frettless finger board with a finish what finish do prefer.

personaly i perfer a unfisnished frettless fingerboard as it sounds more earthen and darker.

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like fretted. The main reason I like fretted is because I enjoy slapping, popping, and hard digging- all three of which can chew up a fretless board.

I do realize that a fretless would more easily allow me to play Indian music since with a fretless I can get all those great semi-tones, but I enjoy slapping too much.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I HAVE a bare fretless as my main bass. If I can ever stand to let her out of my reach for a month or so, I will have her fingerboard coated by HG Thor. I think the ultimate fretless tone is a lot easier to achieve with a coated 'board. Try a Pedulla Buzz. You'll understand. And, if you have a tough enough coating, you can 'slap and tap and dig in...'

4. fretless, of course, because first of all, i play upright bass and only upright bass. i havent played electric bass for the past 1 year and i really like playing with no frets..... frets are painful! and i feel that i can get into a groove easier if im playing in an instrument without frets. your fingers won't hit anything aside from that hardwood fingerboard...
    peace to all!!!!

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Fretless fingerboards scare me. :(

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Booga Booga Booga!!!

[​IMG]

7. Spectorphile

Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    Fretless is the way :bassist: I've never had the opportunity to really try an epoxy board, but i think they'd be too bright for my taste.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Pedulla polyed boards are a little bright, but not much brighter than standard ebony, which is pretty bright on its own. The poly finish on them is sturdy but not too thick to overtake the tone. Epoxy has a less glassy finish than poly and isn't as bright-Jaco's fretless had an epoxy finish, if that gives you an idea of how natural it can sound.

My Hill had a poly finish that was pretty thick-it was capable of being VERY bright and snappy. It also had an odd effect of giving a slight chorus effect to the notes.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I play a bare (lined) rosewood Yamaha BB404 fretless. I've had flats on it since May except for the last couple weeks, when I put Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds on it that I had on my fretted for about 11 months. The only wear on is it is from my first two days when I still bent the strings instead of doing a horizontal vibrato and even so, that's under the E and A strings, which are pretty rough on a set of TI Flats. I play crazy-low action, light touch, and I slap and tap. Wear IS inevitable, but it can be incredibly slow if you clean up your technique.

As for that...frets are fine. Just not me.

I also started DB in January. In my experience from that, uncoated ebony should be fine for when I get another fretless.

10. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I'm pretty much a rawk guy, fretted is fine. I'll leave fretless for my cello and for all you Jaco-ites and Manringians. ;) I guess I'd have a fretless, it's not like I can't manage one. I spent two years studying upright in college and play cello. Just. . . .not my thing on bass.

11. Spectorphile

Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    Hmmm there seems to be a bigger stigma attached to fretless than i imagined. Dont exactly see why...

12. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys,

roger sadowsky made me this bass. i had asked for the warmest, deepest, most sustain-iest with the biggest mwah he could come up with.

this is it!

currently strung with DR nickels, i am getting ready to put TI jazz rounds on it for more tone.

the unlined and uncoated is very expressive.

dudes!

simon

Attached Files:

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :confused:
    Lines and fingerboard coatings are usually upcharges-Sadowsky charges more if you want a bass without them? :confused:

Nice bass, btw!

14. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    i wont lie, that is one sexy looking bass! I perfer the feel of a uncoated fretless to anything else in this world, i remember when i took off the strings to the schools double bass i almost cried at the feel of that smooth wood.

15. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    ya know, you would have to go to the man directly for questions like that. give him a call, start that conversation! a small deposit will do the trick.

i know that hurts. it hurts me to say it. i now feel the need for '57-'59 style pbass with maple neck in a flat refin look (or maybe a two tone cherry burst?) made by roger. something with that ultimate depth charge sound that only a pbass can do, roger style! no paint, rubbed wood (hey now!).

maybe i should give him a call and start that conversation, afterall a small deposit will do.....

hmmm......

i sure do love that bass.

simon

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Booo!

[​IMG]

I prefer treated & uncoated & unlined! :smug:

17. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    He said EXPRESSIVE, not expensive. :p

18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    James, the top shadowing makes it look like there's some very cool laminations on your board. :D

Absolutely. I'm not sure if Teak Oil counts as "coated" as it feels like a plain rosewood board but has the stability and "hardness" of ebony, and the only "failure" of my defretting project was that my lines darkened considerably and are much more ghost than actual lines. Ultimately it'll be better for my ear and playing, but for now?

Earplugs. :rollno:

19. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    for the feel, epoxied fretless.
    for intonation, fretted. yes...
    uh. yes.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ohhhh, okau. That clears things up :p