Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frett-less set/up (self made)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by geezer316, Apr 20, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i made a very well made japanese p-bass copy into a frett-less,it came out very well and ALMOST looks professionally done,no high spots in neck,chunks taken out or anything else that would hinder the sound quality of the bass. Heres the question-should i have slotted out the nut(to lower the string)? because the action is'nt much lower than it was originally, what should i have done to change(lower) the action of the bass is what i really need to know
    thanks dudes:bassist:

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes, you may want to cut the nut slots lower. You may also want to adjust the trussrod, you can usually get away with a straighter neck with fretless, and you could drop the saddles too.

Have fun.

3. Phantom

Phantom

Nov 22, 2004
    Exactly! Cut the nut slots!
    Perfect! Thank you for that bit of knowledge, Bwad!
    You are a super guy!

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    How you set up a fretless depends on what you want it to sound like. If you're looking for a thumpy, dark URB-ish sound, you could probably leave it like it is. If you want the Jaco tone -- snarly and grindy and mwahh-y and all that -- do what Brad suggested.

Either way you should lower the nut slots, or else fingering a low-position note will be difficult and will pull the string out of tune. A good depth to shoot for is: Two normal business cards should slide between the string and the fingerboard right at the nut.

Nut replacement is not a drastically expensive repair, so you could take a shot at this yourself if you feel brave and are handy. Work gradually -- better to leave it a little high than cut too deep. If not, take it to a tech you've had recommended by someone you trust.