Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frett problem!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jan 4, 2003.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ok i have a spector usa ns2 that i bought a year ago! Well as dry as it is here in southern missouri in the winter the wood on the neck has shrunk just enough that the fretts r poking out a bit and it just messes up my hands bad! Well i could put her back in the case with one of those humidifiers but i play it to much for that! Should i try to find a luthier to trim them down a bit while its so dry out? My warwick doesnt have this problem at all.

2. you probably need a truss rod adjustment. Take it to your local guitar shop. A good place to ask would be the lutier's forum here.

3. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Naa its not the truss rod! I have played bass for 20 years and i can tell its just the fretts! We have a real bad dry spell about now because its so damn cold all the moisture in the air is frozen!hehe

4. ya im in kansas and we're having the dry spell if its not the trussrod i dunno. ask the lutier's they're smarter than me

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Eric, does your Spector have a rosewood board, or ebony?

6. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    rosewood

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmm. Well, my ebony board Cirrus does that when it dries out, but I've never heard of a rosewood board drying out that much.

Get a luthier to file down the ends of the frets, while the wood is dry. Then you will never have the problem again.

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    cool thats what i figured id do! I know my warwick doesnt do it and it also has rosewood? Thanks!

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've never heard of that on rosewood, either. Maybe the rosewood wasn't cured properly. Is the bass new, by any chance?

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wouldn't your Warwick have a wenge fretboard??

I recently played a G&L bass at a shop, it has been there for a year or more now, and the frets stuck out so bad that I just about cut my hand. It had a rosewood board.

I used to own a Charvel bass with a rosewood board. It sat for over a year in it's case when I was on hiatus from bass playing. When I took it out, the board had actually seperated from the neck, from the nut to the second fret. It also appeared to have shrunk, as the fret ends needed to be filed also when I had the board glued back down.

11. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    It could be one of those God-forsaken RockBasses...

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Jeff is correct. I've had to file the fret edges of several guitars and basses over the years for similar problems. I would guess that the rosewood hadn't been thoroughly dried prior to construction. I've seen it on brand new instruments and I've seen it slowly develop on older instruments. I'm certainly not a wood expert but I've never seen a problem like this reverse itself based on weather/climate changes.

13. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    my warwick was a custom job i got it back in 92 when they still did that kinda stuff. Yes the spector is a new bass of mine! But i got it last spring and the fretts were just fine! Didnt happen till it got really cold outside! I wonder if i called spector up they would fix the problem? But i hate to send it back! Its my baby!

14. I've seen it happen on roswood occasionally, too. Spector would probably handle it for you, though it'd probably cost more to ship it back and forth than just to have a local repairman do it (a $20 job or so). You can also file the fret ends yourself with a small flat file if you are careful, but many folks are rightfully a bit hesitant to do that with high-dollar instruments.

Mike

15. Yes, file your frets. Here in Saskatchewan, we get realy dry weather. You have the right idea; file the fret ends when it's dry. This will make it a much nicer playing bass, more consistant and reliable. You won't tear up your hand this way!

16. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hehe the problem is that i live in a small town called joplin missouri and i just dont think there is anyone here locally that i could trust! Heheh but i could drive a few miles to springfield and see if the guys at conklin will do it!hehehe i doubt it