Fretted and fretless all in one!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashbory, Jan 9, 2006.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's been discussed several times before. The general consensus is why spend $7K on something that's inferior to a fretted and fretless pair of Sadowsky's?
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    So that you can seamlessly switch between mediocre magic?
  3. How does it do it? rotate? is there like a video or a diagram or how it works?
  4. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    it would take you a solid 3 seconds of searching on the site to find a video...
  5. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
  6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Guys. It flips the frets over. And it's way too over-priced. If it was more affordable, it'd probably skyrocket. But there's no way many people can afford that kinda cash.

7. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    "All that great fretted tone without that precision fretting!"

8. yup.. it would be a great way to learn how to play fretless... but learning shouldnt cost $7k
  9. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    You've got to appreciate the engineering that went to that bass though. The price might not reflect it's use to a musician but it is a very clever design regardless.
  10. Woah man! Thats great...unbelievable - gotta get a couple when I win the lottery!

I wonder when Fender are gonna start building that technology into their gear...
  11. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Somebody didn't do their research before writing the ad copy (hush, I'm being polite :rolleyes: ).

I can think of at least three other systems that could be considered "fretted/fretless," and all of them predate this effort by a fair bit.

They could have kept truth in advertising by saying it's a new method for converting or something, but no way is this a "world's first."

Tred carefully when a marketing department relies on incorrect information, hyperbole, or outright lies...

12. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Because they would have to offer some kinda major waranty on that. If you pay $7,000 for that (which is probably due to the fact that they patent it and nobody else can use it so they have everybody elses balls in their fists when it comes to doing that).. but that mechanism looks too easy to break or wear out. If you pay 7k for it and after 3 years it get's stuck as fretted or fretless or Jaco forbid halfway in between the bass would be useless.
    There is no way that can be sturdy enough. Also yea you move the frets up and down.. but not the action. IMHO one of the best features of a fretless is so the action is way lower. I don't know.. Seems pointless right now. But later on when they develop it a bit more. I think it would be worth looking at.
  13. There seems to be some scepticism at the workings of the fretted/fretless mechanism and on the bass in general.

However, if one takes for granted that the mechanism works well there are some obvious advantages:

1) The most obvious advantage is that you can mid song change from fretted to fretless, for a solo part for instance.

2) Although questionable, one could argue that instead of spending X amount of cash and Y amount of cash on a mid-priced fretted and fretless basses, one could put X and Y together and get a higher priced singluar bass which can do it all.

That said, I think that while such a bass would be good to have, the 7K price tag is ridiculous. As someone pointed out, I'd buy myself two sadowskys with that kind of money.

But if it was priced at the 1k mark, I'd jump on it.
  14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    First, he's got a right to patent it and to reap the rewards of his own invention. (Including selling rights to Fender if he wished to, if that's what you meant). Second, there are currently no issued or applied for US patents under the guy's name, so the assumption is probably unfounded. He's Canadian, but a US patent would likely be a normal course of action. Third, without seeing the guts, it awfully hard to fairly characterize it as either fragile or robust. Sure, there's plenty of potential for problems, but then he may have found good solutions.
  15. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005

Sorry.. just going on the fact that I'm an engineer and have been for a long time I know how the R&D process goes. I can also tell just by looking at it, that it is flimsy. Yes he has the right to patent it.. I'm sorry I read back in my response and didn't see anything that I said that could even be miscontrude to sound like I meant he didn't deserve one.. I was simply answer the question above about "why Fender hasn't done this yet" .. I was assuming he patent it.
    yes Canadian inventors and innovators do get US patents.
    So why dont' you buy it and prove me wrong pilot?
  16. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    It looks pretty cool. Who knows how sturdy or reliable the design is over the lifetime of the instrument, but if the engineering is reliable, I don't see why it shouldn't cost considerably more than an instrument that doesn't have this feature. There's alot of things out there I find to be overpriced; at least this thing does something different.
  17. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    They have one in stock at the Twelfth Fret in Toronto. I tried it briefly for a minute. It's a nicely crafted bass. The fret lifting mechanism works and seems sturdy enough. Other than that it sounds like a modern jazz bass.

That price is way too much and I doubt they'll sell many. The only advantage is being able to switch between fretted and fretless on the fly.
  18. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Which part looks flimsy?
  19. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    7k and the