Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

***? Fretted and fretless in one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jvbjr, Jan 15, 2005.

1. ooooh. Pretty.

[​IMG]

Don't think I've heard of them before. Nice basses. I would have opted for the fretless on the bottom half.

- Dave

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Similar things have been around for a while. this one was sold by Bass Alone several years ago...

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
  4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Way perty.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Could I do the same thing on a P-Bass by pulling out every other fret?? :oops:

6. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I remember hearing about someone who defretted from the 12th fret up, but I don't remember how it turned out. That just seems like it would cause neck problems.

7. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wow. sexy!

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    if you look closer it looks to be a 4 string, and a 5 string bass in one! Very COOL

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That's been done by several people also. Not so much as a de-fretting, but from scratch since to do it properly the fretboard after the 12th fret needs to be higher than is for the rest of the neck, otherwise the action on the fretless part above the 12th fret will be VERY high and the 13th fret would be very difficult to hit because the string would be "held up" by the 12th fret wire. So ideally the fretboard from 12th on would be at about the same plane as the crowns of the frets. I know this was done by a few people, but their names escape me right now...

10. I know Leduc made a guitar which was fretted in the lower frets and fretless higher up, and the fingerboard was raised in the fretless area to match the fretted part. Talk about being a pain to set that one up!

Defretting the top part of the fingerboard won't cause neck problems as long as the slots are filled.