Fretted Cirrus vs Fretless Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemeister, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting a better fretless bass and since I've had a Cirrus and was very satisified with it (except the number of strings) I'm thinking of getting a fretless Cirrus 5- or 6-string.
    Do you have any comments on how the fretless ones compare to the fretted ones?
    The reason for asking this is that I've spoken to some players who think the fretted Cirruses are great but the fretless ones have to thin and shallow sound.
  2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've owned several fretless Cirrus 6ers and they've all been fantastic! I think it really matters what woods you select. Mine have all been walnut with the Claro walnut top. They sound very warm and full. Short of my new Roscoe fretless 6 these have been the best fretless basses that I've owned.
    Mark Beem has dibs on my Cirrus 6 fretless but if that deal doesn't go down as planned, I'll be posting it for sale again.
    Don't hesitate for a moment to get a fretless Cirrus, just get the wood combination that works best for you!
    Just my thoughts.
  3. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I had a fretless Cirrus and thought the tone was very similar to the fretted Cirrus. That was the problem for me - it was too similar (albeit good tone). It didn't have the same "mwhah" that my Lakland Skyline does with the same strings and same setup.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What woods did yours have, Schwinn?

I have played two fretless Cirrus fivers.

One was walnut with claro walnut top.

The other was a gorgeous quilt top ruby red maple over alder.

Both had excellent fretless tone with tons of mwaahh. The walnut had a little darker tone, and the maple/alder was a bit brighter.

When I was looking for a world class fretless fiver, I was considering the Pedulla PentaBuzz and the Lakland D55-94. I played that red quilt fretless Cirrus, and the Lakland and Pedulla were immediately removed from contention.

If I hadn't run across a used Zon Sonus custom for sale locally, I would have bought that Cirrus fretless. In the long run, I probably would have been as happy, even though I love my Zon.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You know what? I just remembered playing a maple fretless cirrus once that did have lots of mwah so maybe it was just the one I owned that lacked it. :confused:

That one was a walnut/bubinga fretless with pau ferro fretboard and I put DR lowriders on it. It didn't sound bad at all, but I got more of a "blooming" effect with the Skyline I have. Not sure why. But that's why I sold the cirrus fretless. For what it's worth, out of the two, the Cirrus was more comfortable to play.