Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretted/fretless bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mongol, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongol

mongol

Oct 6, 2005
    just checked site of mikeyguitar.com amazing two basses in one never saw it before take a look

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Mongol - Welcome to talkbass. We were talking about this ealier, but somebody deleted the thread. Oh well. I'm not sure I could get into the flat fretboard / fingerboard - but it's certainly an original idea.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whattya mean? He's been registered less than a week.

Seems cool, but I'm skeptical how well it'll work.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Yeah - I can't read. Not sure what happened. I edited my last response to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and not imply that anyone is a spammer.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Finally checked out the video, really looks interesting, however Steinberger tried something similar, but not as well thought out back in the 80's. Never made it past prototypes for a reason.

I'd be interested in trying these out, but not sure about shelling out what they want.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, just got an email back, it's patent pending so no specs available... $7000 and you can get your very own.

I think I'd rather have a fretted/fretless pair of Sadowsky's.

7. mns

mns

Oct 5, 2005
  8. Thats is probably the COOLEST thing ive ever seen. So this guy is getting a patent on it. Surprised no one ever thought about this before. I watched the clip of that guy switching it. Amazing.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I'm sure others have thought of it before, but not executed it. It's a nice trick, too bad there's nothing I like about the instrument besides the trick.

10. Too bad my computer went crazy and wouldn't let me watch the video... Exactly how does this thing work since I can't see it first hand?

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The ugly, cheap sounding bass has a lever at the base of the neck which when flipped retracts the frets into the neck. That bit's pretty neat.

12. Hmmm
    I see
    I'd rather just have a fretless and a fretted. :)

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I smell more spam :meh:

14. well the basses do look like just about anything out there. I'll admit that. I guess it's a cool concept. Someone mentioned 7,000 for the bass?? Thats taking a little to far. Though i wouldn't see my self buying it anytime soon. I would like to try it. And move that lever up and down to see how times it will work before it binds up inside the neck.

15. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Yes, there have been a number of threads on fretless/fretted instruments. I believe that there are three patents on various designs fretted/fretless design, so others have reduced their ideas to practice, but as far as I know, none of the patent holders are currently making the basses. tplyons is also correct that someone working for Steinberger developed a prototype. Rumor has it that it didn't sound particularly good because of the hollow neck.

Mikey's design has been researched before. There are two potential problems with this design. The first is the steinberger problem; it is difficult to have the neck contain the apparatus, be sturdy enough, be thin enough and still sound good. Second, if the action is perfect in fretted mode, then it is likely too high in fretless mode. To have perfect action between the two, the bridge and nut would also need to adjust.

All this being said, I think that video is pretty impressive. Then again, I'm a sucker for new things, and $7,000? That's just plain crazy. Buy a fretless with a carbon fiber neck and you'll have a convincing slap tone. (Some autotune magic could also assist those with less than perfect intonation. Not that I condone that...)

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    mongol and mns -

Are either of you affiliated in any way with the manufacturer of this bass?

17. mns

mns

Oct 5, 2005
  18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What is the specific nature of your relationship with this company?

Also, mongol, still waiting for your reply. The clock is ticking on this thread... and your TB membership.

19. mongol

mongol

Oct 6, 2005
    I play this bass on video clip

20. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How could you have never seen a bass like that before if you played it in the video clip? You are being dishonest and spamming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.