1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretted/fretless no not that one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Apr 29, 2006.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  2. Cool idea, horrable website.

lowsound

3. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    it would be interesting for them to license the idea to other luthiers (assuming they have a patent).

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    First, I'd like to say, ***?? :confused:

Secondly, I'm not sure what the distinction is between playing "between" the grooves and playing "inside" the grooves. At a given string diameter and tension, you still need a specific string length to get a specific pitch, or am I missing something? :help:

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That website was annoying. Also, I dont really , get it.

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea i don't get it... someone care to explain?

7. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I think you would get the same effect from just removing frets and then not filling the gap... no?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Woudlnt that concept require a large amount of relief to ensure that the string doesnt lie flat on the fretboard when inthe groove? I dont see how going below the fretboard to fret a note is feasible.

9. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    the websites sorta sheisty.... I just don't get it. :meh: :confused:

10. thats what i got out of it...

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Yeah, and you won't be playing in tune because you will be in between the notes.

12. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    that makes no sense. plus, i'm pretty sure that's a fake website or something seeing as there aren't even descriptions of the basses (which look terrible):rollno:

13. I dunno. Makes sense to me. Essentially you've got a fretless fingerboard that can be played like a fretless, plus you've got those grooves which when you're fretting over them will give you the same intonation as a fretted bass. I don't think the idea is for you to 'play' notes inbetween the grooves. After all, on a fretless, you don't play notes inbetween the places where you would regularly intonate notes. It's about having the same (or close to the same) fretless tone and the same technique (smooth sliding) while still having the precision intonation of a fretted bass.

It's hard to tell what it would really be like without playing one myself, but the concept makes sense to me. *Shrugs*

14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    worst.website.ever. i dont get anything. I'm glad they provide so much info, especially on their pickups and basses...and fret system...

15. This is an interesting concept.