Fretted? Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For the last month, as I got my rig question aside for a while, I've been tormented by the thought of getting high-end bass next.

Now, god knows I'm very happy with my defretted Kingston here, so I'm having bit of trouble deciding on the fact of frets or not. I know, the final decision is over half a year from now but it haunts me still.

I thought the option of getting fretted and having it defretted if I don't like it, but somehow it feels like spoiling a bass. Perhaps I could get some inexpensive fretted 5 to help me decide. What do you guys think?
  2. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I think the end of your quest will be high end fretted and fretless basses. You might want to create a strategy to get there. I see the two types (fretted and fretless) as both essential bass playing tools. The logical next step might be a quality import, e.g. Skyline or the new MTD line.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Imported, ponder..

So we are talking basses around $1000 or bit under, in my part of the world that would be something like Warwick Corvette, Esh Various or Yamaha TRB.

Good thought really, I was all going for $1500 instrument but dropping bit from the cash first gets me the instrument quicker, and then I can have both fretless and fretted in that class with smaller amount of cash.

On the subject on fretted vs. fretless, I'm still not decided. Perhaps it would be time for fretted, as my Kingston is quite decent fretless. Plus, the bell brass frets on Corvette would really get that slapping happen :D