Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretted or Fretless on the Fly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassconbeatz, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
  2. looks cool, not $5000 cool. but still cool
    i would like it alot more if i played fretless but it still looks cool

i wonder though if you can hear the frets even when there down, like a change in neck materal may make it sound different but i dont know.

3. i dont even understand how'd they make it fretless/fretted at the same time

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm thinking the frets somehow drop into the neck, but wouldn't that mechanism take away from the wood in the neck along with making slight divots in the fretboard?

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Ive seen videos of it. It sounds pretty good, IMO, and seems to work rather well. Im not sure how it works, though. I guess if we all knew how it worked, then this guy wouldn't make too much money, now would he?

6. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    A friend of the builder posted a lot about thesemon the bassplayers ldld, for info youcould prolly do some search there under mikey guitars.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

It flips the frets upside down.

-Mark

8. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
  9. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    The link doesn't work.

Bassconbeatz

10. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
  11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Attractive looking bass.

It is going to definitely ruin the action for the fretless mode, for obvious reasons.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    believe it or not, i had this idea when i was a teen ( i'm 47)- but, as the commercial says.. " i never got a patent!"

13. That is one of the coolest basses I've ever seen! I dont know how long the frets would last, but it sounds pretty good. I'd love to know how we got the fret/less system to work.

14. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA

That was very impressive. Will these guys will be a NAMM? I would very interested on a TB'r review, anyone?

Bassconbeatz

15. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I agree with Lorenzini. When I saw this on ebay a little bit ago, I figured that either the frets were really low, or the action would not be very desirable in fretless mode. I wonder how they would refret it... Cool idea though.