fretted or fretless which do u prefer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danielj, Jul 26, 2004.

1. danielj

Jul 22, 2004
    do u prefer fretted or fretless? post ur preference here and why. i myself prefer fretted because i have been raised on fretted. i want to try a fretless someday soon thou.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Fretless for most of the time. It's just more of "my voice" than fretted. However, if I just wanna shred/slap the hell out of something 'cause I'm frustrated, or if I'm in the mood to "rock out", then I'll pull the fretted off the wall.

For me, fretted is for playing with reckless abandon, or when I'm too tired to pay attention to intonation. Otherwise, it's fretless. Consequently, I play my fretless three times as much as my fretted.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    How'd you get inside my head :eyebrow:

:eek: and quit checkin' out my wife

I feel the same, just I'm like 90/10 fretless/fretted.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fretted. But I've been putting a loooot of thought into trading my fretted 5 for a fretless of some sort. Actually written out the For Trade feeler ad twice (in as many months), but each time was like "Eh...I dunno."

Wonder what I could score for my NS2000/5?
  5. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Fretless almost 100% of the time.
  6. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Mostly fretless (probably because I just bought another one and it's so cool)

Fretted has to come out for most gigs at least 60% of the time though. If I'm given the choice I will definately play fretless though.
  7. danielj

Jul 22, 2004
    ok good keep em coming. i c most of u like fretless so far..
  8. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Fretless 98% of the time. That was the only type of bass I had from my early years and through college. Once I got into the funk and slap thang....I had to break down and get a fretted!
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Preferably fretless.
    I sold my first fretless, and suffered severely, when I started giging again - no fretless available so I had to go fretted.

Now I got a fretless again, and use it for most instances. Only tapping and moree brutal playing is better on the fretted. Then again, I sometimes change instrument for tonal reasons, but that's mostly because the two are rather extreme (fretted Basslab STD V, fret-free SUBurban LoW w/LightWaves).
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Fretless about 75% of the time.
  11. Fretless almost 100%.
    I pulled out my fretted the other night and thought about yanking the frets on it. I decided not to in case I would need to use a fretted for some reason in the future. Besides, it's a really nice fret job and I wouldn't want to mess that up.

I prefer fretless for several reasons:
    1. I like the tone.
    2. To my knowledge, I'm the only one in the area that does play fretless (our guitar players can't). There must be another somewhere, but I have yet to see anyone else around here playing fretless. Well, there are people who play bowed instruments (violin.........), but I'm referring to BG.
    3. When I play fretted, I tend to play at a very conscious level, thinking about where my fingers are. But, when I play fretless, I play by listening. I feel with what I'm doing much better with fretless. I'm not sure I'm using the best words to convey this number three reason, but it's probably the most significant of the three I've listed. Anyway, I feel the music better with the fretless, for some reason.
  12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Fretted mainly, what can I say, I love slapping! I can slap a little on my pentabuzz, but it just ain't the same as my R bass.

However, my pentabuzz gets love these days. My secondary gig loves it.
  13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    fretless so i can sound like this:

fretted so i can sound like this:

14. danielj

Jul 22, 2004
    wow i didnt know that many ppl like fretless. thats cool though. keep em coming.
  15. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I thought about fretless for a year or so. I had an expendable bass so I finally defretted it. It was more difficult to setup than get used to playing. And tried some different pups but they just didn't capture the sound that was there acoustically. Thought about getting an upright mic for it but I also missed not having the bass fretted since it was actually the brightest bass I have. So it got refretted.

The unplugged tone of fretless was pretty cool and fun to play, melodic and all. Doesn't fit with a lot of what I play tho. I'll probably pickup a fretless at some point but I woundn't recommend defretting one (unless it needs a refret anyway) cause you won't know what it's going to sound like till it's a done deal.
  16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

right now i have a fretted, i like the sound of both, they each have their own good sound for different jobs. when i start collecting(owning and using more than one bass) basses, i will for sure get a fretless and use it alot.
  17. well ive been playing fretted ever since i started playing a few years back...but every time i see a fretless i pick it up and play it, i like em, the fav ive played so far a cort curbow, wanna try a jazz fretless and a kubicki fretless, im thinking of buying a mexi fender jazz fretless this year sometime
  18. I donno, I guess Fretted since that's all i really have. I once tried out a EB fretless, and aside from the 5 knob eq setup, the neck felt alot like the one on my Fender P-deluxe. sound seemed a little dubby for my tastes. I had no problem with intonation. anyways, maybe some day I'll go for that stuff
  19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I prefer fretless because I like the muted sound of the strings and the feel.