Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretted or Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have been through quite a few basses in the last year and I want to stabilize my collection at two good basses. This could go two ways: I could pick up a nice fretless like the an Ibanez GWB (cheap version) for a really different flavor; or I could get another quality fretted five to go with my USA Peavey Millennium Five like a SR5 or Bongo (big $) or Lakland 55-01 or MTD Kingston Five (budget). I am mainly a hobbiest but I do play at church on occasion. If you were in my shoes, what would you pick?

2. Only two basses? You'll get banned for sure. Seriously, if I had to have just 2, 1 would almost certainly be fretless, maybe upright. I've used my Rebop 5 in Church (my only gig) a lot- very effective in the right setting, if that's the right term.

3. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If you're really focused on getting down to just 2 basses, I can't see a lot of point in both being fretted 5's. If your current 5 is able to give you the full range of tones you want, go with the fretless (or perhaps a fretted 4) for your 2nd bass. If you current 5 isn't capable of giving you the full range of tones you want, replace it with one that is and then go with the fretless (or perhaps a fretted 4) for your 2nd bass.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What you guys are saying makes alot of sense. As a non-working bassist, I have hard time justifying a "backup" bass that is too similar to the one I have. I really like that Gary Willis Ibanez but I fear the tone may be too limited since it has only a bridge pickup. I don't know, maybe I could get a fretless 55-01 or fretless Bongo instead. :bassist:

5. I love the looks of one big ol' pickup, but never got enough variety of tones out of that setup. You might want to factor reliability into your dilemna(sp?)- active bypass, specifically. It sucks to have your bass quit in the middle of a worship set because of a $3 battery.

6. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    Go with the Bongo, HH/w a piezo. You will never need another
    bass, unless its an upright, and the bongo will give you an endless range of EQ. under $1500. It will blow a Lakland away...

RM

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Fretless is my main bass.
    But I've been playing fretted bass lately, because I'am doing
    alot of thumb work.
    I do slap on my fretless, but fretted is sound I need right now.
    You realy need one of each.
    If I had to chose, it would be fretless.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A fretless Bongo does sound good, but I would probably go for one pickup and maybe a piezo. I could get a decent Jaco style tone and a couple of other tones as well. A set up like that would work for me.

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I think fretted is much more useful than fretless. Almost never do you get a gig where you are asked to play fretless. You are more often requested to play slap. And since I only slap on a 4 string, I would go with a 4 fretted and a 5 fretted.

My impression of the real world: fretless is a hobby, fretted is a really low-paying job. That is unless you are %99 more lucky than the rest of the bassists on Earth.

10. Don't worry about a bass having only one pup; to me, this is what gives certain basses their tone and reputation. (Precision, Stingray, Jack Casady)

If you played an upright, how many tones would you have? I also feel that a bass with only one pickup makes everyone focus more on playing and less on control tweaking.

My advice if you are to have two, and only two basses would be a good five string fretted, and a 4 or 5 string fretless.

Use the fretted for most of your songs, and the fretless for ballads.

Just my opinion. :)

Mike

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A few other fretless basses that have caught my eye are the fretless MTD Kingston 5 which costs about the same as the Ibanez Gary Willis bass new. I have also noticed a nice used Carvin on Bassnw's website. The jazz style pickups seem like they would offer good versatility but I keep hearing horror stories about Carvin pickups. The price on that bass is good though.