1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretted or Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by line6man, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Fretted only

34 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Fretted and Fretless, but prefer Fretted

78 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Fretted and Fretless, but prefer Fretless

36 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Fretless only

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Ok, this is very subjective, and its probably been covered a million times. but i am bored right now and i feel like posting something.

Fretted or Fretless bass?

2. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Ummm.....whatever the song demands?!?

3. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Uhhhh....big +1 there. :meh:

4. meh, this poll isnt "what do you play" its "what do you PREFER to play"

5. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i agree with the above posts most definelely but i would rather play fretless on everything, but sometimes in louder drummer situations there is no point playing fretless as all the nuances are lost.

Dave

6. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Really depends on the band, the songs ...

7. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I like both, but I looove fretless bass.

8. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    You didn't create a catagory for fretted and fretless with a preference for neither!
    They take you to different worlds.( both of which I am happy to inhabit as often as possible.) So far, passion hasn't allowed me to 'choose'.

9. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Depends more on the bassist and his fingers than what or what kind of song or what band you guys. :scowl:

Fretless isn't like a piano-string is to a hitman.
    For some of us it is a do-it-all in every situation in every genre. :smug:

10. I've been playing a fretless jazz a lot more for the Motown instead of my usual P-bass.

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    here it's fretted and fretless , but I prefer both.:D

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I play fretted most, but I love both, pretty much equally, two halfs of a whole IMO, theres things that sound better on frets, some on fretless.

13. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I don't own a fretless bass...YET. It's on my G.A.S. list.

14. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    i love the sound and feel of a fretless and i have access to one (my brother's defretted p-bass built from a crappy saga kit that he left at home when he went off to college), but it's definitely not for everything. plus i have to pay lots of attention on a fretless or i run into trouble.

15. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Fretted. Because I have only bee playing for a month.

16. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    After playing a fretless for a while, a fretted feels like cheating, or like trying to play a 4-string if you're used to a 5-string. It feels like something is missing and holding you back expression-wise. That said, I certainly don't mind "leaning on" a fretted for certain types of music, or in live situations wherein, as fretless Bob said above, the nuances are inaudible anyway, the monitoring may not be very good, and it's overall not worth the trouble.

17. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I generally prefer fretless. The only things I'd absolutely rather have a fretted for would be slapping and tapping, neither of which I do very much of at all. It also makes learning classical stuff much easier, although I'd rather do that on a fretless as long as I can get the intonation right.