Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretted Starter Bass: Cort/Curbow 5 vs. Dean Razor NT 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iualum, May 14, 2004.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Getting back into bass after many years away. Which would you guys suggest as a re-starter instrument?

If I went with the Cort/Curbow, I'd get it direct & most probably go for the US Bartolini option. Ed Roman (know many guys here aren't big fans of his) rates the Dean Razor NT as Best Bang for the Buck. It also features active preamp circuitry.

Opinions? Other ideas apart from the 2 I've cited? Thanks a lot.

2. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I highly recommend the Cort Josh Paul signature 5 string. In a word Excellent. I have one and I love it. It's an Elrick deign, It has a zero fret asymmetrical neck that plays like butter. Super beefy lows and all the highs you could ever need. They have them on Ebay for around $679.00 new and it is wrth every penny. Here is a link to one of the auctions so you can see one. Ebay Cort JPS5 :cool:

3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks Tampa. Looks nice. I'll definately consider it.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Any other ideas on these 2 or different suggestions?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    You're talking about the new Retro? Is there pricing anywhere yet? Is a 5 available? Thanks.

7. definately the curbow.

8. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I would say that the Cort is better overall.

However, if you can't find a Cort that suits your needs, you might want to check out the lakland skyline series.

9. used curbow off ebay with the bart preamp & pickup... you can get em dirt cheap

10. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Well I was sure leaning the Curbow direction, and I'm leaning even more that way now. I still think the Razor NT is pretty nice, just like the Curbow more.

Think the 5 with US Bartolini(18V preamp), Greg's Set Up & Signature(also putting on flats, think I'll do D'Addario Chromes), and hard case will run me about 9 - 9 1/2 bills. Not a cheapie, but I think I'm still getting a solid value for a new bass with the stuff it'll have. One that I can hang on to for quite a while if I choose to.

Lots of people say it's a little tricky to play sitting, but I guess I'll just deal with it. Other than always using a strap, any tips from Curbow owners or people who've test-driven it?

Partial to the Metallic Red(maybe White), but I'm going to ask that the Bridge, Tuners, & Knobs be changed to Black. I think he'll agree. Anyone having any experience negotiating w/Greg care to comment on this?

You guy's thoughts? Appreciate it. Talkbass is a great place!