Fretted Stingray 5 with piezo bridge option?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kevin_5656, Nov 22, 2000.

1. kevin_5656

Nov 18, 2000
    Hi. Does anyone own, or has played, a fretted Stingray 5 with the piezo bridge? The configuration I'm interested in would also include a maple fingerboard. I'd like to hear some opinions on the piezo option. Does it give a usable(live and studio) tone by itself and/or blended? Or is it not worth the extra cash?

Sep 10, 2000
    i haven't tried one but that'd be sooo cool
  3. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    I don't think it's worth the extra on a fretted bass
  4. I'm savin up for the same thing and I dont think that the bass with the peizo pup is that much more than the stingray without it. I think that the stingray with the peizo pup has a blend knob so you can ajust the output of the piezo.(Im not sure though.)
  5. kevin_5656

Nov 18, 2000
    Unfortunately, the piezo pup option is considerably more. I live in Canada and the best price I've seen for a Stingray 5 is $1625(CDN) plus $550(CDN) for the piezo pup.

You're right about the blend knob. In fact you can tell if a Stingray 5 has the piezo bridge by checking for 5 knobs(volume, blend, treble, mid, bass), instead of standard 4 knobs(volume, treble, mid, bass).

6. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I happen to own a fretted SR5 with the piezo pickup. What an excellent bass! I have a review posted in the reviews section. However, I have found that the piezo pickup makes the SR5 the most versatile bass this side of a vintage J! It adds warmth and depth to the SR5's cut and punch. Great for ballads and acousitc numbers. I really can't say enough good things about it. Make sure that you try it and see if you like it. I love mine, and would not trade it for the world!
  7. kevin_5656

Nov 18, 2000
    G, thanks for your reply and for your review as well. I had read throught it prior to initiating this thread and did find great value in your comments on the piezo pup. What kinds of studio recording have you used this bass for? Any observations as to how it performed in the studio?
  8. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I have a stingray 4 with a piezo, and i think it's a nice addtion to the bass but you can really live without it too. But if the price is not a problem, I'd get the piezo option. It makes tapping and chordal stuff sound a more lively and interesting, since it adds certain high-end and deep lows and makes everything sound more "organic". You might not notice the piezo if you play something like heavy rock but in an acoustic situation or in some jazz/fusion/funk situation it will be heard and it can sound really nice in ballads too. It's up to you to see if you like it.
  9. I have played one. It sounds great and i just ordered a Fretless Stingray 5 with the piezo. The colors are awesome too, and in 4 months, when it arrives, i'll post the pics. If you want great prices. Take a look at They have the best prices, even if you have them order one for you and you don't buy the one they already have, they way you can customize the colors. :) :)
  10. kevin_5656

Nov 18, 2000
    Thanks G, Tuomas and Mr Fortunecookie for your opinions.

A question that I just thought of today was, is there a big difference between the bridge pieces on the standard SR5 and the SR5 with piezo bridge? Obviously there are the additional electronics with the piezo bridge. But besides that, is piezo bridge just as sturdy and solid as the non-piezo bridge? I'm wondering if electronics for the piezo would require a very different looking/feeling bridge piece?

I don't want to be replacing bridge pieces every 5-6 years if the piezo-bridge isn't as sturdy as the regular SR5 bridge.
  11. SurfCrew

Jan 19, 2001
    I'm in the same boat. I know this reply is pretty old but I just found out about this topic. I too am curious as to how stable Ernie Ball's Sting Ray 5 piezo bridge is. Will it hold up like their standard one? Is it worth the extra $400? Any comments would be appriciated. Thanks
  12. G

Apr 12, 2000
    My StingRay5 with the piezo was not very sturdy. In fact, I no longer own it. About two weeks after my reception of the bass, the signal from the piezo started sputtering and then cut out all together. The bridge was fine structurally, but the soldering was poor. The bass was sent back to Ernie Ball at my expense, and was returned to me in perfect working order. In another two weeks or so, the problem returned. I can only conclude that the soldering was poorly attended to again. I have now chosen to return the SR5 permanently, in exchange for credit towards another bass by another manufacturer, MODULUS. I don't want to discourage anyone else from buying one of these basses however, and I stand by my previous review.