Fretted to fretless conversion, but different...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassMan257, Mar 4, 2006.

1. hey... just wondering if this is possible..

im actually in the process of building a bass at the moment, and I wasnt sure if i wanted a fretted or fretless at first...

i still may stick with fretted, but is it possible to replace the WHOLE FRETBOARD? because if i do go frettless I really want an ebony fingerboard on there, and if i do that, i could use the "overhang" thing to make it 24 or so frets cause that the warmoth necks do...

i mean, a blank ebony finger board is like 35 bucks... so i was just wondering if this is possible..

thanks for your help and suggestions
  2. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Yes, not a problem, remove the existing one with heat and/or planing and glue the new ebony board on using lots of clamps and appropriate cauls(shaped blocks)
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If you're building the neck from scratch, I'd suspect that the choice of glue that you use to secure fingerboard to neck will really determine how difficult a change is in the future.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have done it. It's really easy if you aren't worried about the old fb. Just rip the frets off and chew the old board off with a power planer. It takes about 15 minutes to turn it into dust.