Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretted to frettless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Janas, May 20, 2003.

1. Janas

Janas

Nov 25, 2002
    England
    I've been playing for about 6 months now and i've still got my first bass (yamaha bb404) I definately want to keep it just because its my first bass but i'm thinking of updating and getting a new bass (fretted 4 string) would i be able to somehow take the frets off my old bass so that it becomes fretless???:bassist:

2. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Definately. Lots of people do this to breathe new life into an old bass or just to find out if they like fretless without spending loads of cash.

Do a search here (and on Google or Yahoo) for 'defret'
    You'll get loads of info guiding you right through (materials, techniques, tips). I did it myself and it turned out really well so good luck,

C.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO, you'll regret it.

There are plenty of low cost fretless basses if you're willing to look around. Check www.rondomusic.com for starters.

4. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    If the bass meant that much or was worth a lot then maybe it's too risky, but if it's just some old bass that you probably won't play once you get your new one then why not?

I did it, couldn't be happier. it's a good learning experience....
    just on sunday I sanded the paint off the back o' the neck and decided to try something i've wanted to do for a while....
    check out my thread in luthier's corner:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86108

But Janas... your bass, your choice.
    Best of luck,
    C

5. I agree with Phil. Unless you're VERY good at doing this type of modification, or know someone who is, just take your time and look for an inexpensive fretless. If you had a Feneder I'd say look for a fretless Fender neck, but, bass mods usually run into "little problems" that cost you more in the long run. Buy a bass whole. :)

Just my $.02

Mike