Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretteed basses

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by floydbass, Jul 30, 2003.

1. are there any fretted upright basses ive seen some from like the 1800s that had frets but only 5 o six and the rest was fretless, so are there any MODERN fretted uprightes

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Take it back to the 1600's and then you will find fretted Gambas

I don't think there are any production fretted bass's out there but there is no reason why a luthier couldn't add frets to a bass.

There are problems in doing this. with playing in diffrent keys. In the old days the frets were gut cords tied around the neck. The frets could be moved around for diffrent keys. What this says is that once you add frets you will be a little out of tune like a piano or guitar is. If you play in a symphony it would be a problem if you are playing slap bass some where I would think it would become less of an issue.

Joe

3. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I saw a modern bass somewhere with black frets all the way up the neck, so you couldn't see from the stage.

Kind of a one-of -a-kind thing that I don't think validates the idea much

Anyone able to comment on sonic differences with frets on other bowed instruments?

4. Here's a photo the neck from a Croatian Berda bass that I'm in the process of converting to a standard DB. The body of the bass (which was made in Germany) looks pretty much like a normal flat back DB but with a few more frets extending down onto the front of the bass. When I got the top off, I discovered that it had THREE bass bars and no soundpost!

5. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    :eek:

three bass bars?
    would be nice to see the bass...
    ...so if you can make and post some pics :D

gruesze sebastian

6. I can't show you any pics of the entire bass in "before" condition since I received it in pieces. Here is a pic of the back side of the top table. It's little hard to make it out, but there are two conventional bars on each side and one carved out of the top along the center seam.

7. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    i think this pic would be suitable for the stiffness-thread...
    alot of sustain :D
    thks...

gruesze sebastian