Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretting a fretless in a way

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ashton, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi

I am going to purchase a rosewood fretboard bass that someone has torn the frets out of and filled with epoxy or something or other.

Is it a good idea to get it fretted again, would the fretboard be thick enough?

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with the above.

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you want a fretted bass buy one.

3. Rogier

Rogier

Feb 2, 2004
    Only when the bass is thát special. So, what are you going to buy?

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    its a MIJ Precision that is only a few numbers off my maple fretboard one. Its in australia its a good buy and theres a luthier around the corner from me who could put frets on again.

With holes plugged with glue where frets once were, Can it be fretted again or would it be inpossible to put frets in the correct place because of the glue. Can the fretboard be sanded down far enough to put frets in again without thinning the neck too much or anything like that?

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Someone is going to have to cut slots where the old ones were. It's possible, but not something I would want to do. Your guy has to be accurate or the thing will not play in tune.

Sanding down isn't going to help you because you'd need to sand through where the old slots went down to -- probably way too much.

6. if it's a rosewood fretboard, you may be better off to have the luthier lift the original board, put down a new one and fret it up for you.

lf he's a worthy luthier, he'll be able to lift your old board, and fretting a new board is HEAPS easier and probably more reliable, too.

However, if you go through all that trouble, why not go ebony? :) an ebony boarded P-bass, now THAT would be a rare instrument :)

7. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Actually not a bad idea to lift the old fretboard off and replace it, I wouldave never though of that.

And I would be more inclined to keep it rosewood cause of the serial numbers and all, then again I love maple, then again an ebony P-bass would be quite a nifty gadget.

Now the hard part.