Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretting a fretless Q4 (graphite neck)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by oceansize, Jan 27, 2005.

1. oceansize

oceansize

Feb 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Has anyone ever fretted a fretless Modulus with graphite neck? Any issues to consider? (I would be taking this to my local luthier, not doing it myself!) The bass in question is a fretless Quantum 4. Any idea of a ballpark price for this? Would the resulting sound be similar to a "regular" fretted Q4?

Thanks!

Joel

(if this has been answered before please point me to the thread--I searched but couldn't find anything)

2. rev13

rev13

Jan 28, 2005
    NYC - formerly SF
    well...i can tell you it would be expensive, i've been trying to find someone to do a refret on my graphite bass and that hurts!
    i would be sure to ask a couple of things first - does your fretless have lines? if so, those are cut in and all your luthier would have to do is clean those up and get the frets in (no small feat in itself)
    if not - i would be sure your luthier has done this before, you might even consider calling modulus and asking if they can refer someone OR help you themselves.
    might not be cheaper, but it'd defintely be safer.
    have you played a fretted Q4?

3. oceansize

oceansize

Feb 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Thanks for the note. You're right on the expensiveness--I talked to Mike Lull and it could be as much as $800. This bass does have lines, which presumably would help.

I haven't played a fretted Q4, but I have played a fretted Q5 and I own a fretted Flea 4 (different bass, obviously, but maybe some similarities?). I'm wondering how bright the Q4 will be with frets. Is the preamp/pickups the same in a fretted/fretless Q4? Mine is from 2004 and has Barts with the Bart 3-band preamp. I'm thinking it's the same setup as a fretted Q4, just without frets.

Joel

4. rev13

rev13

Jan 28, 2005
    NYC - formerly SF
    if i remember correctly, they are VERY similar.
    i believe the first series even used the same mold and modified the headstock to a new design.
    i will tell you the original Q4's used the old music man molds with a headstock insert to change it from a 3+1 tuners to a 2+2 - same neck dimensions tho.
    the Flea Bass's are wonderful
    i think you're right about the PU's and preamp
    i worked there a LONG time ago, however - but i would shoot them a note and ask some of these questions.
    Good Luck!
    hans