Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretting a fretless???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassman blue, Jan 26, 2003.

1. I'm sure this has been discussed before, so I apologize. Theoretically speaking, if a person found a bass they realllllly liked, it was a fretless bass, but they wanted a fretted bass, how much would it cost to have fret wire installed? Can it and should it be done????

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
  3. Don't do it, just don't. Its kind of like selling things, unless you REALLY need to sell it, its better to keep it and save more money.

Unless you REALLY need a fretted bass, the wait is worth however long it would take to save up the money to buy another one with frets.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    When I was GASsing for a Wal (still am, but have given up thinking I could afford one), I considered buying a fretless Mach III/5 and fretting it. If you come across something that's rare (like a Wal) that's got just what you want, I say: go for it. If it's something that's more readily available (I think that's an MTD? I'm not too familiar with the avaiability of those), I think it's probably a good idea to wait until you find a fretted.

Edit: I guessed it was an MTD based on the 2+3 headstock, but I don't actually think it's an MTD now. Not that it matters.